Help! What does it mean if there is blood near my chicks!

I recently got chicks. Currently they are about 7 weeks old. I was checking up on them when I noticed a little bit of a red liquid (which I obviously assume is blood) near my chicks. I think I might have seen a tiny amount on one of their legs. Do you think they could be pecking at each other? I'm really worried they might have mites or something but I'm not sure what this might be. Please help me!! T_T 😭
At this age suspect coccidiosis.
If chicks are fluffed up and acting cold, cocci may be the cause.
Blood in their poop is a symptom.
Corid should be administered.
Do not feed medicated chick feed if treating with corid.
Keep the chick brooder DRY.
Goo luck. Hoping for the best.

At this age suspect coccidiosis.
If chicks are fluffed up and acting cold, cocci may be the cause.
Blood in their poop is a symptom.
Corid should be administered.
Do not feed medicated chick feed if treating with corid.
Keep the chick brooder DRY.
Goo luck. Hoping for the best.
thank you! I'll be keeping an eye on them. don't think that it's cocci though because the blood isn't in any of their poop, I've already checked for that

Mites are highly unlikely so young.
Unless you got them from someone who had them in their flock.
Even less likely that they would cause bleeding.

Seeing a bright spot of blood in brooder or coop is usually a comb injury.
They can bleed profusely but heal up so fast it can be hard to find any wound.

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Back
Top Bottom