HELP what happened to her Bum (WARNING GRAPHIC PIC)

I am editing my post since the newest pic was added at the same time. Wow! I would cover it with neosporin (if you are using the kind with painkiller make sure it doesn't have any of the 'caine meds in it like lidocaine, as it is toxic to chickens...Neosporin (the brand) uses something else for pain, so theirs is fine to use). I would recommend keeping her isolated so that it doesn't get infected. I wonder what got her? The other hens pecked it worse, but I doubt they started it. I have heard of rats attacking hens at night from the rear, so maybe something bit her and the hens were attracted to it from the blood. Poor thing!

Last edited:
GASP! How great! That is such a relief that it is not her vent! I think she has a VERY good chance now! You are doing great making her as comfortable and safe as possible. Keep it up and she will be doing better in no time!

That doesn't look like a prolapse to me. Surely someone has an idea. Was she just pecked that hard? It is hard to tell from the pictures. Is the damaged spot on the belly side of the vent? Could something have taken a bite out of her?

Quote:

This is a just a guess, but I think the other chickens were cannibalizing her with her prolapsed vent. I don't see anything hanging out in your pictures, though, so perhaps the prolapse has recovered itself and what you are seeing is the damage from the other chickens. But search for prolapses on this forum. There was a thread just last week.

I think she will need a heavy duty antibiotic, but I don't know what to suggest. Hopefully someone else has experience with that. Or you can take her to a vet.

I also would suggest something stronger than honey for a disinfectant. Iodine maybe.

The one thing i was thinking is we have a slide latch type thing on the bottom of the door, and i was wondering if she jumped out and caught her self on it and tore it open and the others were pecking at it? I dont know how long it was like that before i caught it. I too was so happy to see it was not her vent. She didnt lay an egg today but has pooped and peed, and is eating and drinking.

What can i use in the water to wash the area (Iodine, black tea or something like that) , and what else can i put on it other then honey (or should i just stick to the honey) can i use like a Neosporine or something? How many times a day should i soak her area.

If chickens could talk i would love to know what she says about going in the tub,lol

Quote:

Yep! Having just gone back and looking again, I see the vent. A classic case of misdirection! But I'm glad that's healthy.

But this does leave a question about what happened there. And I can't tell how deep it is. Is that just an open but superficial wound or is it deep?

That was what I was wondering, Bantam Prevails. Maybe a bite that got pecked? Rat maybe? It definitely looks like it could use diluted iodine and maybe an antibiotic. You can use neosporin if it is the kind without a pain killer in it (or so I understand from my reading here).

Hang in there with your girl. She's lucky to have you.

Quote:
Since it's not her vent (thankfully) you can skip the tub. Neosporin is okay, the plain kind, not the kind with painkiller. Iodine is fine. Be careful if you use hydrogen peroxide because it is harsh. Dilute by 50% or use a more gentle cleaner.

I would look all through your coop for anything that could have caused the injury and fix it immediately. Now you just need to keep your chicken away from the others until she is healed.

Quote:
Since it's not her vent (thankfully) you can skip the tub. Neosporin is okay, the plain kind, not the kind with painkiller. Iodine is fine. Be careful if you use hydrogen peroxide because it is harsh. Dilute by 50% or use a more gentle cleaner.

I would look all through your coop for anything that could have caused the injury and fix it immediately. Now you just need to keep your chicken away from the others until she is healed.

I am glad i dont have to do the baths,lol, she was VERY tolerant and so good, but i could just imagine what she was thinking,lol. She kept talking to me the whole time, BUP *bUP* buPbUP. LOL

I will be scanning the chicken coop and yard tomorrow. when dealing with it should i use warm compress on it for a few days or just keep putting the neosporine, or use a iodine dilute on a towel and just dab it on her wound?

Back
Top Bottom