HELP.....What is causing this??

lone cedar farm

Songster
10 Years
Jan 25, 2009
Menlo, Ga.
I bought eight BO pullets back in the spring and now have only two left. They all grew to be beautiful hens and started laying, then one at a time they get lathargic dont eat and their comb goes from bright red to dull, no sneezing or any other signs. The weird part is no other chickens but these have died or even been sick. I have never had problems with hens dieing in the past and this has me absolutely puzzled.....and sick!! what could be doing this?

idunno.gif
That is a mystery. Maybe something genetic. Where did you get them from?

bought them from a fellow that had orderd them as chicks from Cackle Hatchery, he raised them up to 11 weeks old. Looked his place over good when I bought them, very clean and had some beautiful birds. It makes me sick to watch these hens die and it is a mystery because all of my other birds are just fine.

i've even thought they may be getting into something when we let them out on occasions to free range but seems like the others would get sick too!

Last edited:
I just lost one of my BO also. She was about 3 months old. Just started fluffing her feather and stopped eating and drinking. Standing by herself. I was force feeding her with a dropper for about a week and when I thought she might be getting a little better I put her back outside with the others and found her dead the next morning. I'm not sure where they were hatched, I bought them at my local feed store. I will keep track of the threat to see if someone else is having problems. I did notice another BO was starting to act the same way, I went and got Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. I'm putting one tablespoon per one gallon of water. I read on BYC that is very good for them. Also, I'm upping their protein. I am keeping a very close eye on the other 3 BO's. I hope all goes well for us all.

Back
Top Bottom