HELP! What is the right place to inject my hen?

I am no expert but anytime my chickens had an injury I just sprayed them down with blu-kote and gave them terramycin, or any general purpose antibiotic in the drinking water. Since it is starting to smell it may be a wise idea to clean it first then spray.

It was a pretty regular occurrence for the vet I worked for to flush traumatic and surgical wounds with penicillin. However, it is not a very broad-spectrum antibiotic, and tissue permeability isn't great. Staph aureus, which is a prevalent source of infection in chickens, is particularly resistant to penicillin.

Ladyhawke1 is absolutely correct. I hate to throw more nerves your way, but injections are not easy in any animal. I worked in 2 clinics, please get some pro advice or help. And if your vet said do it, and didn't show you how, inject the vet!
If the penicillin came from the feed store, think twice! Check the expiration date, look to see if it's injectable or not. As a past vet assn't, I still prefer tetracycline in the water to injectable anything.

Either way, if you have a hen on antibiotics, don't eat the eggs for at least 4-6 weeks- throw them away.

What is the problem, anyway? Can any of us help?
Really we live in an area that won’t consider looking at my chickens and they took all the antibiotics off the shelves for my hens. Now what do we do watch them die.

Back
Top Bottom