Help...what is wrong with my chicken's beak? (pics)

chickengal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
It is hard to see it unless you open the chicken's beak. What is it? How can I treat it so it doesn't get worse. A few weeks ago it and another chicken looked like it might be gagging. They were opening their mouth wide like someting was in their crop. I thought they might have an impacted or sour crop. But the next day they seemed to be fine...then I saw this a few days later...the other one looks like he has this starting on his beak. Help!
25640_img_0079.jpg

25640_img_0080.jpg

25640_img_0083.jpg

25640_img_0082.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt chickens get canker sores; at any rate, a quick Google search reveals they are not contagious. This poster may have been thinking of cold sores, which are a type of Herpes, which of course is contagious. However, in all my reading on here, I have never heard of a chicken having any form of herpes. That is not to say it can't happen, of course.

My first two thoughts when I saw the pics were gapeworm and beak deformity. I have no idea what a gapeworm looks like, but I do know they can be seen inside the mouth. That's why I asked about hard or soft. If it's a beak deformity, the approach would be similar to crossbeak, I imagine, unless, of course, you are considering vet care. If it's a beak deformity, there is a lot of discussion on here under crossbeak -- it's a matter of managing their feeding situation so they can eat, and sometimes trimming the beak, if necessary.

Quote:
Ah -- thank you. I learned something.

I'm a people nurse so thought of cankers in people. Never occurred to me there was a completely different condition in chickens with the same name.

Hope the OP gets back to us. Staying subscribed.

In the first pic it looks like she has a little crack in the side of her beak and maybe what we're seeing in the inside her mouth could be an infection. What do you think ddawn?

Quote:
I've never seen any of the stuff that's been mentioned on this thread, including wet pox. I am at a loss and hoping someone comes along with actual experience. What it LOOKS most like, to me, is some sort of beak or mouth deformity, an extra growth.

Back
Top Bottom