Help! What is wrong with these chickens?

banananutmuffin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Just South of Mason-Dixon Line
So I wanted to add two more hens to my flock. I sent hubby to a local small farm (advertised on craigslist) for 2 Ameraucanas (knowing full well they were probably just easter eggers).

Anyway, he brought home the birds (which were supposed to be hatched April 2/3). Both seem kind of listless. And they both look scraggly on their backs, right above their tail feathers, as if their feathers were plucked or pulled out! What is this? Is it normal? Is it mites? They don't seem to be sneezing and their eyes look clear, but I am keeping them separate from the rest of my birds for now.

IMAG0183.jpg

It could be feather picking by other birds in the flock. I would still keep them separate and make sure they are getting enough protein, but it's possible that feather picking is why the farm is thinning their flock.

I have 20 hens and have 3 that look like that. I have dusted with sevin, sprayed with blue kote, watched for feather picking.... but can't seem to get rid of it. I'd love to know what to do. Several more looked like that over the winter, but all but three have cleared up. It almost has to be feather picking, but I can't tell if they are doing it themselves, or if someone else is...

Looks to me like they have been overmated...do they have roos?

BTW roosters will pick a few favorites that they like mating over and over and that's why some get bare backed and some dont

Last edited:
Blue Kote will stop the others from picking on their back too until her feathers grow back in
big_smile.png
I had one hen that looked like that and she got so sun burned one day that her feathers never did grow back in
sad.png
Even after I got rid of overactive roo. Good luck!
Also you should always keep them seperate for at least a month from your flock just in case they have something. You will know in that amount of time.
ETA: I used saddles and it REALLY helped with overmating AND sunburn
big_smile.png
And she did fine with them although it was REALLY amusing to watch for the first hour
wink.png

Last edited:
My brahma was getting picked on by the RIR before they were let out in to their permanent home due to the coop they were in being too small, so she was "stress-pecking" if that is even a term. Once we moved them outside it stopped. She looked exactly like that. I didn't know who was doing it until I saw the RIR boldly go over to her, pluck out a new feather coming in and swallow it! I almost gagged
sickbyc.gif

If they are with roosters I'm sure they wouldn't discriminate. OR if they are around larger hens they could have just gotten pecked on
sad.png
I have also had older hens try to mate my younger hens. WEIRD but true. I'm sure you will notice that the feathers will grow back in soon That doesn't look like a molt though, more like pecking by older hens...especially if they are only 9 weeks old. Did you look under the wings and by the vent area? That's where bugs would be hanging out if they did have them.

ETA: I'm sure they are happy to be by you now where they can recoop
big_smile.png
Poor things!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom