Help! What should we do about the foxes?

MiaohMia

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 8, 2014
We've been raising 8 beautiful chickens for 3 and a half months now, from just day old chicks. 2 Polish, 4 Easter Eggers, and 2 Silkies. We have never once had a problem with predators... until now, of course. First, our beloved Polish went missing. Though, we just thought she got lost. We always had to lead her back to the group, and she was the only chicken who would approach people. We were devastated ,and blamed her loss on her behaviors, not thinking something got her. This was about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, a family member saw a fox, and immediately checked on the chickens. 3 out of the now 7 were hiding in the bushes, not moving. 2 came back later in the day, but we saw feathers of the missing chickens spewn across the yard. Today, the last polish's tail feathers were found. We're now thinking of what to do.... We can buy a run, but foxes can dig! We can just give them to the farm, and decide to never raise chickens. We can also set out traps every year, but about if the foxes prefer live prey? We were thinking of a guard dog, but I've never trained a dog to sit, never mind to not hunt little animals but instead foxes! I ask you... what would be the best possible solution, for us and the chickens? We don't want to see anymore of our beloved pets get hurt!

You need to place them in secured run, one fortified against digging. There are a lot of posts under coop/run construction. If you have 1 fox, bet there are more.

What shelter do you have for your chickens? Do you have fences? I had foxes and bobcats coming around, and I decided to put up electric net fencing. I fenced in a half acre of yard, and that has kept the predators at bay, and I have not had a loss since the fence went up.

I would find some way to keep your chickens protected for a while, as the foxes will continue to come looking for free meals. Some sort of run will be necessary.

A dog is a very good idea, but you probably aren't going to be able to get a fully trained one right away, so that is a good long term plan, but in the short term you have to keep your chickens safely locked up until the foxes move on to better hunting grounds.

Good luck!

Alright, so a run will be best? And the fox will eventually move on? IF you were wondering, we have a pretty big shed for the chicken coop and no fences. Thank you so much for the advice! We'll look online on how to fox-proof it, and train the dog while we have them in the run, so maybe they'll get their yard back one day!. Thank you everyone for replying!

Back
Top Bottom