Help What temp baby ducklings have to be kept at

pfewless

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 31, 2014
I am a chicken keeper and doing well. My daughter in law wanted ducks and they are being kept here. I have them in my laundry room in a cage for the moment. They are the Pekin ducks bought at TSC. They are still yellow and have soft beaks. What temp do they need to be kept at? I have them under a light because I put my baby chicks under a light. I have the food and water for them. They keep making a mess and I am changing out wood shavings almost every two hours. They are nothing like chickens other than thier starter food seems to be the same. I just want to be certain I dont do something wrong as she will only be able to get here a few times a week. She will be trading chicken chores on the days she comes to do her duck stuff for the days I have done her duck stuff. I kknow little about ducks as you can tell so all help will be so very welcome. I am finding a lot of mixed info as I read. Some of my questions I am unable to find any answer to. Here are my questions.
What temp do they need to be kept at?
When can they go outside with the heat lamp?
Is there anything I can do to keep them from making such a mess?
Is there anything special that they need care wise that I don't do for my chicks?
Do they need special food or is there anything they cant have?
Can they live with my Chickens? Will they bring disease to chickens that I have to worry about?

Thank you so much that was very helpful. I dont know how i did not find that link. I think I am just stressed to the max over this and wanting to do this right.

Thank you so much that was very helpful. I dont know how i did not find that link. I think I am just stressed to the max over this and wanting to do this right.

Surely you aren't stressed over such cute little things?!!
wee.gif

HAHA I'm teasing you. It is so amazing how relaxing you think it is going to be, but how quickly it turns into such a stressful time. You will look back and laugh, I'm sure. Best of luck to you!

I am a new duckling mother as well. But i can help with one of ur questions. I have been using doggy training pads they sell at walmart over top of towels in the brooder. Makes clean up much easier and keeps the water from going everywhere. I bought the unscented kind. Today they seem to be much more active so i have had to change the pads twice. Im learning very quickly that they are crazy messy! haha

I am a new duckling owner. I too, put them under a light. Also, I purchased an aluminum pan with a plastic lid and put them both in the "tub" to place the waterer in. I have discovered that the ducklings get a bite of dry food then immediately turn to get a sip of water. That makes for dirty looking water but it is not. They also like to get wet and attempt to bathe. The pans help to keep the wood shavings dry a little longer and we all are happy with the result.

I am a new duckling owner. I too, put them under a light. Also, I purchased an aluminum pan with a plastic lid and put them both in the "tub" to place the waterer in. I have discovered that the ducklings get a bite of dry food then immediately turn to get a sip of water. That makes for dirty looking water but it is not. They also like to get wet and attempt to bathe. The pans help to keep the wood shavings dry a little longer and we all are happy with the result.

I'm actually planning on putting their food and water on opposite ends of the brooder to make them get some exercise by running back and forth between the food and water. It might help the water stay a bit cleaner, too. No idea if it will work, though.

Back
Top Bottom