Help !! What to do with 5 gallon of raspberries !!!

Quote:
Well I am not really sure. Somebody called the neighbor and told them about it and neighbor ask if I wanted to order any. They had 5 gal bucket of frozen raz puree for $10 and 30# "brick" of frozen strawberry for $20. I got one bucket of raz.
Thinkin we be havin some on ice cream tonight !!!
clap.gif

(ETA) I guess I should have also mentioned that since DW is diabetic I have to find ways to do things no sugar added or with substitute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a recipe for BlueBerry Dumplings by Paula Deen. I am thinking you could sub the rasp puree for the berries. I've made it many times with a frozen berry combo from Costco. It is amazing!!! and SO SO easy to make!

BLUEBERRY DUMPLINGS

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar, plus 1 1/2 cups
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
1 quart fresh or frozen blueberries
2 cups water
Vanilla ice cream or fresh cream, for serving
Directions
Stir flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Cut butter into dry ingredients, using a pastry cutter or fork. Add milk to form dough. Set dumpling dough aside.

In a large saucepan, combine berries, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and water and bring to a boil. Drop dumplings into hot boiling berries by the tablespoonful. Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and cook slowly for 20 to 30 minutes. Do not remove the lid before 20 minutes has passed, and do not stir dumplings. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh cream.

Mix with low fat or fat free yogurt, and a little splenda.

Put in sugar free jello with a little whipped cream or sugar free pudding/cheesecake mix and into a pieshell.

Glaze for chicken or pork. Off the top of my head mix with light french dressing, french onion soup mix, and the rasberry.

Add to light salad dressings. or to your favorite oil & vinegar recipe

Just a couple ideas that are fairly diabetic friendly and easy.

Imp- off to check his BGL.

Quote:
Mead does have a different flavor than wine, some folks like one and dislike the other. But, if you aren't sure you'll like it, probably not worth wasting a gallon of raspberries and a year of time.

My grandmother used to make a raspberry caramel. I'll see if I can find that recipe.

Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream Recipe:
2 cups half-and-half

5 large egg yolks

2/3 cup granulated white sugar

1/2 vanilla bean or 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

For the Raspberry Swirl:

1/2 cup raspberry puree

Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream: In a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring the half-and-half and the vanilla bean (if using) to the scalding point (the milk begins to foam up). Remove from heat, take out the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds from the bean with the back of a knife, and mix the seeds back into the half-and-half.
Meanwhile in a stainless steel bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy (about two minutes). You can do this with a wire whisk or I like to use a hand mixer. Gradually pour the scalding half-and-half into the whipped egg yolk mixture, making sure you keep whisking constantly so the eggs don't curdle. If any lumps do form, strain the mixture first before heating.

Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook until the custard thickens enough that it coats the back of a spoon (170 degrees F) The term 'coat a spoon' is a technique used mainly as a way to test when an egg-based custard or sauce is done. A spoon, usually wooden, is placed in the custard and, when the spoon is raised, the film of custard on the back of the spoon will stay in place even when you draw a line with your finger through the middle of the custard.

Immediately remove the custard from the heat and continue to stir the custard for a few minutes so it does not overcook. At this point stir in the vanilla extract. Cover and let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate the custard until it is completely cold (several hours but preferably overnight).

Transfer the cold custard to the chilled container of your ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once the ice cream is made, to create the marbleized or swirled pattern, place about one third of the ice cream in the bottom of a container and then pour about one half of the raspberry sauce on top of it. Top the sauce with another one third of ice cream and then the rest of the raspberry sauce. End with the remaining ice cream. Cover and place in the freezer for several hours or until firm.

We have berries. I mean tons and tons and tons of berries in our freezer. I started making purees out of them, skimming out the seeds and freezing them into popsicles. My daughter thinks she's getting junk food, but it's just healthy goodness disguised as junk food. I don't add any sweeteners other than occasionally grinding up some apples to add to especially tart berries for sweetening. She's hooked on them now. I also find myself sometimes grabbing one for a late night nibble instead of grabbing the ice cream.

turnovers, danishes, jam, jelly, top ice cream with it, spread it on bread with peanut butter, cakes (makes a great filling), pie, raspberry shortcake. The possibilities are endless. recipes.com is a GREAT place to start, because alot of their recipes are not complicated.

THEN mail me some.

Make a Compote and put it in jars and give as gifts w/ a jar of dry ingrediants for pancakes and a recipe to make the pancakes, gret fund raiser and for bake sales.

I was going to recommend the popsicles too. I love to make them with all sorts of overripe fresh fruit and frozen fruit, and maybe some frozen orange juice concentrate, but NO added sugar or any other such junk. I puree it all in the blender & freeze in popsicle molds. Then when you're in the mood for something cold and/or sweet grab one of these. It's like a fruit salad on a stick! Great also for a healthy breakfast on the go.

Back
Top Bottom