Help! What to feed bare back hens?!

brairgirl

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Would feeding these hens gamebird (for the higher protein levels) feed help them grow back the feathers?

Are they molting or is it from an over zealous rooster? If it is from a rooster, I would get some saddles or remove him for a while. It won't do any good to add extra protein if the problem still exists.

Either way, cooking some egg for them would help. Any extra protein is good to help the feathers grow back.

I removed the hens and am working on fixing the saddles (they keep flipping them over their heads! lol) We are selling 3 or the five roosters.. I think it is more that the roosters have the ones that they like more because our Australorp hen and our Barred rock hens have very little if any feathers missing.. The RIR and the Red sex links seem to be their favorites..

By the time I put them back with the flock (I guess they are still with the flock technically, but separated).. I was going to separate the roosters, but the flock free ranges for about 5 hours a day, and the roosters keep on eye on the hens and the babies.

How many chickens do you have! You only need one rooster per 10 hens some even say 20 hens. It sounds like there might be too many roosters.
I would keep them separated for now, to let your girls heal. you can try to feed them some boiled or scrambled eggs, or some meat bird food
I think, however that once you have removed those roosters, they will heal right up.

Do you sew? Free patterns for saddles can be found searching google. You might be able to customize the fit for your girls so they can't move them around.

We have 18 adult hens and 5 adult roosters. They all get along fine too.

So is Gamebird starter food okay to feed them?

I think it is, or any other way of giving them more protein eg eggs, meat (not too fatty). You can also buy food-grade seaweed extract which is helpful.

However, I agree with the others above that there's not much point unless you stop the roosters overdoing their thing. It's not nice or healthy for the girls for this to be happening either. Until you dispose of the 3 roosters you say you are selling, I suggest you keep them separate, including when free ranging. They have to be safe with just 2 roosters, soon enough, so give your girls a break from too much attention in the meantime!

Back
Top Bottom