Help what to put in run

where would I get wood chips from? like a large back I'm just finding small bags
Hard to find them in bags. You want big fat wood chippings, like from a tree trimming service.
Next best bet is landscape mulch, biggest chips they have, with no dye or additives.
upload_2019-9-27_11-53-13.png

you can get large bags of chips at Tractor Supply... here they are $5.99... recently on sale 2 for $10
You're talking about pine shavings......not the best for runs, too small and thin.

I’m in Virginia. Oh okay never thought of wood chips.
Straw is something that I would use in a coop or nesting boxes but not on the ground especially not in Virginia. In Virginia we get very wet weather sometimes and the straw gets wet, slippery, and moldy.

You can do mulch, big wood shavings (can get them from landscaping companies), the leaves are starting to fall right now in Virginia you could rake those up and put those in there... You can also do the leaves in your coop as well as long as they are dry and then when spring comes scoop them out and you have compost (this is what I did last year).

Ehhh...that's not true, unless it gets full of mold...it's the mold that can kill them not the straw.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
full
I'm thinking about starting cold composting next month, but I wasn't sure where to start. This picture helps out a lot

We have a pile from the beginning of the summer of lawn clippings and very finely mulched leaves, all of which are now brown. Maybe I'll dump some in the run.

where would I get wood chips from? like a large back I'm just finding small bags

I go to a landscape supply and buy a product called Eco Mulch, by the yard, it cost $18. It's a natural mulch chipped up in big and small pieces. If you don't have access to a truck or trailer, your probably gonna have to stick with the bags.

Right now I have access to a big pile of tree trimming chips for free. A neighbor had a big oak tree fall late last winter.

What about grass clippings from the lawnmower, Would that be good?
Beware of fresh green clippings form the mower bag...can get nasty and slimy...and some birds may gorge on then and clog their crops.

Letting grass clippings fully dry is a decent addition.
But the larger wood chippings are key as they won't break down too fast,
but continue to keep odors down.

Back
Top Bottom