HELP!!Whats going on with our girl! Need Advice. UPDATE PICS ADDED!!!!

CherryChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Indiana
89084_brandy.jpg

This is Brandy! She is a 5month old Plymouth Rock ( all the others have started laying eggs. We aren't sure if she has yet.)
Brandy here has a problem.....
89084_ouchy.jpg

She has this lump on her back side just in front of her tail. It started out smaller but now has tripled in size and looks like it is starting to rip the skin.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on with her? And if so any suggestions would be great.
She is acting fine. She eats and drinks and free ranges with the rest of the girls.
Her face has lost its redish coloring to it.
Please help

Last edited:
I think that might be her oil gland. it is hard to tell from the pic. If it is bigger than the oil glands on your other chickens, it might be blocked. I think others have used a warm wet cloth to unblock, but try doing a search.

I'm not sure about the laying issue, but I don't know if you could do much one way or the other.

We have treated the wound (she has been picking at it and caused it to bleed) She acts fine. Her face is pale sometimes but not all the time.
We checked to see if she was egg bound and she is not. The Lump is located right on her lower back about 1 in from her tail.
89084_ouchy2.jpg

89084_ouchy3.jpg

89084_ouchy4.jpg

Anymore advice would be so helpful! We don't want to lose our Brandy!
sad.png

Last edited:
I have been doing research. And have read somewhere on here that chickens infections are differnt because with humans our pus is more liquid like and chickens is more thick. If this is true does anyone thing that this could be an abcess?

UPDATE:
Well we did tons fof research and tried everything we could. It doubled in size to about the size of a lime. She started to peck at the lump and it started to bleed and became very sore she didn't like being held anymore becasue of it.
So we had to send Brandy to that big green pasture in the sky. RIP Brandy
hit.gif

Afterwads we performed an Autopsy on her. We came to find she had a Fatty Tumor that was taking over her back. Wrapping its way around veins and even an artery.

Back
Top Bottom