HELP! What's wrong with her?

snkjohnson

Songster
10 Years
Jul 10, 2013
EDITED: I added a picture at the end of her butt after I washed it. Seems ok??

I'm concerned about one of my girls, she's a white leghorn, just over a year old...I went out to feed today and her comb is floppy and not as red. Also, her butt does not look good (see pics). She also seems to be walking more slowly, but it is 9 degrees out there so maybe that's a factor? I don't see any wounds. I don't know what to make of it or what I should do. Would love some help!!!

Other details:
-Live in Northern Utah
-Coop is very well ventalated and dry (in the corner of our barn)
-It's been this cold only last night but I put a heat lamp out there overnight that they were under while they roosted, so I don't suspect frostbite.
IMG_4943.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpeg

IMG_4947.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm concerned about one of my girls...I went out to feed today and her comb is floppy and not as red. Also, her butt does not look good (see pics). She also seems to be walking more slowly, but it is 9 degrees out there so maybe that's a factor? I don't know what to make of it or what I shouldl do. Would love some help!!!

View attachment 2387903

View attachment 2387904

First I'd clean up that butt. And check for any bleeding, wounds, prolapsed vent etc. Where do you live you can put your state or country in your profile and it will show up when you post under your forum name. Sometimes where you live helps us help you. Is she a white leg horn. Do you have good ventilation in your coop. Looks like some blackened areas on her comb. Could it be frostbite. A dry coup ( ventilation) keeps them from getting frostbite on their combs. Bleeding can cause anemia and hence the paler comb.

Can you tell us if her bottom has a prolapsed vent or just looks dark and messy? The skin appears darkened. Is her lower belly enlarged compared to the others? I would try to get her cleaned up, but she would need to be brought inside where it was warm for that.is she laying eggs now, or has she stopped?

First I'd clean up that butt. And check for any bleeding, wounds, prolapsed vent etc. Where do you live you can put your state or country in your profile and it will show up when you post under your forum name. Sometimes where you live helps us help you. Is she a white leg horn. Do you have good ventilation in your coop. Looks like some blackened areas on her comb. Could it be frostbite. A dry coup ( ventilation) keeps them from getting frostbite on their combs. Bleeding can cause anemia and hence the paler comb.

Thank you! I'll update my original post with those details you suggested.

Thank you! I'll update my original post with those details you suggested.

I have lively egg laying WLH chickens 5. Laying everyday. They are over a year old hence chickens. Some of them have that paler comb always have had. And one has wattles that are almost 4 inches long. But she's a lady. I've watched her lay an egg several times. I do think that if the paler comb just happened it probably means something. So make sure she's not bleeding any where or was bleeding ( vent) recently. Prolapsed vent is easy to fix if you need to.

If you have a plastic dishpan, you can give a warm soak to just her bottom, and use a little dish soap to wash her clean. Dry well with a towel and blow dry feathers before letting ber back out. Make sure that she is really dry.

Can you tell us if her bottom has a prolapsed vent or just looks dark and messy? The skin appears darkened. Is her lower belly enlarged compared to the others? I would try to get her cleaned up, but she would need to be brought inside where it was warm for that.is she laying eggs now, or has she stopped?
I can't tell if the vent is prolapsed, at first glance I'd say no, but I'll get her cleaned up and report back with a better picture. Thanks!

Also, what do you suggest is the best/easiest way to clean off her butt, since it's so cold out?
Take her into your bath tub. Run some warm NOT HOT water and take an old face cloth and gently sponge off the area. Maybe trim a FEW feathers from around there. If you see a flesh colored tube like structure hanging out even a small length you will need to push that back in. Just do that part for now and we can help you with a PV if she has one.

Make sure you rinse the cloth and the tub good with bleach. Hold her with her head drooping over you arm when you inspect her butt. good luck keep us posted.

Take her into your bath tub. Run some warm NOT HOT water and take an old face cloth and gently sponge off the area. Maybe trim a FEW feathers from around there. If you see a flesh colored tube like structure hanging out even a small length you will need to push that back in. Just do that part for now and we can help you with a PV if she has one.

Make sure you rinse the cloth and the tub good with bleach. Hold her with her head drooping over you arm when you inspect her butt. good luck keep us posted.
Sorry forgot to add use a hair dryer and get her good and dry. I like the tub myself because It gives me more room to work.

Back
Top Bottom