HELP! What's wrong with my Houdan chick!?

woodguy

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Bushwood
She was fine last night and as far as I know she was fine this morning but when I came home at lunch time today she was laying on her side, breathing heavy and could barely keep her eyes open ans had a problem keeping her head up. Also the underside of her wing(s) was wet, red and had sores and there there are actually holes in her skin. She was in a small cage with 2 other chicks(BOs) and they seem fine. She is still that way and I don't think she will make it through the night.

Last edited:
Quote:
I haven't a clue, but various spiders, a snake, ....

But holes in skin come from something that can puncture and a common puncturing action is a bite.

The hole under her wing is about 1/2" long X 1/8" wide...almost like a wear spot or it rotted away....nasty.

Quote:
Then your bird likely has an infection.

Can you post a picture?

In any event you need to clean that area and use some neosporin without the pain killer, or another antiseptic.

Your bird likely needs an antibiotic as well.

Is she drinking and/or eating at all?

It seems to have gotten worse...

CIMG3027zoom.jpg

Are those cage mates getting to it?

You need to make certain that they don't see it, that it is kept clean, packed in neosporin.

Is your Houdan picking at it?

If so you'll have to cover it after cleaning and dressing the wound.

Is she eating and drinking?

She is in a separate container. No she is not picking at it. She hasn't the energy to do close to that . As far as I know she is not eating or drinking on her own.

Make sure she is warm and that you get some electrolytes into her.

From the way your girl is acting she needs that at the very least.

The question you also have to wonder about is how she got the wound to start with, had she been out and about?

Did your Roo attempt mating her, did any of the others try to put her in her place?

Something sharp caused that wound and likely well before you noticed the bird being sick.

Back
Top Bottom