Help. what's wrong with my Ruby?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lelasgirls, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Lelasgirls

Lelasgirls New Egg

Aug 4, 2016
    Two days ago when I went to lock up the girls for the night, I noticed a long white membrane looking thing hanging out of her vent. She tried to poop but all that came out was water. She has been drinking A Lot of water. She hasn't laid in two days but has been seen in the nesting box for long periods of time. She is eating and foraging like normal. I have been keeping a close eye on her. This morning when I went to let them out it happened again. Ruby is 2 yrs old. I am new to the backyard chicken owners club. Help!

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Hmmmm....
    A rubber egg...? Has she prolapsed? Sometimes they strain so hard intestine comes out too...Messed up it sounds....

Give more details...Someone will help you out....

Good luck

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she had an egg burst inside, perhaps a shell-less egg that collapsed, and all that was visible was the membrane that you saw hanging out. It happens to a lot of hens, especially to hens that experience one of the reproductive problems such as internal laying, a problem with the shell forming gland, egg yolk peritonitis, and others. Sometimes they can also be egg bound with an overly large egg whether it has a shell or not. You can stick a finger into the vent an inch or 2 to feel for a stuck egg. A normal finding is just to feel soft tissue inside.Make sure that she is drinking enough, has a good balanced layer feed, and given access to crushed yoster shell or egg shells for added calcium. You could give her a calcium tablet, Tums, or other forms of calcium today, in some yogurt and feed mixed. Here is a little info about these disorders:
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

The Merck Veterinary Manual--click on any topic for a link to an article
    Topics in Disorders of the Reproductive System

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by