HELP!! Wheezing, big abdomen and vent gleet

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
My hen has been really sick a lot of time. She will turn 2 in a few months. She got impacted crop back in September and barely came out alive. She hasn't been laying eggs and her abdomen is really big. It not hard, but watery and squishy. My flock got infectious bronchitis when they were young and she has always had respiratory issues. I've given them, on and off, on different antibiotics. Her tail is currently down and she is wheezing really loudly. Breathing with her mouth open. She also has vent gleet and her vent is looking really dry. I've lost 3 hens from reproductive issues. 2 in under a week in the last week of this February. I have no idea what to do... should I just cull her because it's really hard for me to see their health deteriorate over time. Her droppings are also not healthy. Im giving here electrolyte water because her crop is nearly empty.

Attachments

• 20220321_102303.jpg
    20220321_102303.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 70
  • JPEG_20220321_103140_2082106108673637282.jpg
    JPEG_20220321_103140_2082106108673637282.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 11
  • JPEG_20220321_104346_8221453205043290426.jpg
    JPEG_20220321_104346_8221453205043290426.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
She has always had trouble breathing because if her weak immune... and her belly is big. I suspect ascites too. I even tried taking the water out but accidentally broke and egg yolk and put her on antibiotics then. Should I try to take the water out? And I think all the water is pushing on her lungs causing her to breathe and wheeze this hard.
Certain diseases can cause future reproductive ailments, I think the infectious bronchitis you mentioned is one of them.

I'd wait for other's who have better knowledge on these things to pop in to help you.

Certain diseases can cause future reproductive ailments, I think the infectious bronchitis you mentioned is one of them.

I'd wait for other's who have better knowledge on these things to pop in to help you.
So all of my hens might contract reproductive disease because of CRD? I had 8 hens. 3 of them passed away due to reproductive issues. One with ascites, EYP and ovarian cancer. She hasn't laid eggs and I'm pretty sure, by looking at her vent and size of abdomen, she has ascites. I have this other hen who is looking healthy but she sits in the eggbox for hours and doesn't lay, just like my hen with EYP used to do. I have started another thread for her.

I'm scared I'll lose 3 of my girls in under a month. Please give your input. She has been sneezing loudly and it's painful for me to see her like that. When she had these breathing issues before, I'd just give her antibiotics and she would be good to go. But looking her ger vent gleet and large abdomen, this time it is different.

So all of my hens might contract reproductive disease because of CRD? I had 8 hens. 3 of them passed away due to reproductive issues. One with ascites, EYP and ovarian cancer. She hasn't laid eggs and I'm pretty sure, by looking at her vent and size of abdomen, she has ascites. I have this other hen who is looking healthy but she sits in the eggbox for hours and doesn't lay, just like my hen with EYP used to do. I have started another thread for her.

I'm scared I'll lose 3 of my girls in under a month. Please give your input. She has been sneezing loudly and it's painful for me to see her like that. When she had these breathing issues before, I'd just give her antibiotics and she would be good to go. But looking her ger vent gleet and large abdomen, this time it is different.
I'll tag in some people who can help you more then what I can.

@azygous

@Wyorp Rock

@Eggcessive

You can try the antibiotics for a few more days. There is no guarantee that antibiotics will help. With ascites, some people may withdraw fluid occasionally to relieve pressure and breathing. It has the risk of infection and death, so not totally without risk. Culling is up to you. It is just when there is a respiratory disease in the flock, those just keep on affecting any birds added to the flock. Close your flock, and once all birds are gone for a month or two, you can add new birds. It may take years to do that.

The vent just looks messy, from droppings not clearing the bottom. Diarrhea could be that she needs probiotics after the antibiotic treatment. But chickens with reproductive can have loose droppings. Plain unsweetened yogurt or buttermilk can be good for probiotics. Just a bit of cooked rice can be added to those.

My hen has been really sick a lot of time. She will turn 2 in a few months. She got impacted crop back in September and barely came out alive. She hasn't been laying eggs and her abdomen is really big. It not hard, but watery and squishy. My flock got infectious bronchitis when they were young and she has always had respiratory issues. I've given them, on and off, on different antibiotics. Her tail is currently down and she is wheezing really loudly. Breathing with her mouth open. She also has vent gleet and her vent is looking really dry. I've lost 3 hens from reproductive issues. 2 in under a week in the last week of this February. I have no idea what to do... should I just cull her because it's really hard for me to see their health deteriorate over time. Her droppings are also not healthy. Im giving here electrolyte water because her crop is nearly empty.
I gave her moros carrot soup, antibiotic and kept giving her honey water with a few drops of ACV. Her vent gleet is so bad that she has drops from it. Her vent looks weird and purple. Her wheezing and sneezing is so bad that it can be heard all over the house...
Her droppings have a few solid pieces and then uricates and water. I'm not sure how well her crop is emptying. What do you think @azygous and other well knowledged members?

Back
Top Bottom