HELP! Which chicken is which?

Xtradust

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Orange, CA
First, thanks everyone for all of your help and knowledge! I love this site and everyone on it. (well, it is Christmas)

Secondly, I need help. I have grandparents (85 and 87 years old) with six Buff Bantam Cochin hens. As far as we can tell, the hens are identical in every way. It's weird.

My GP's would like to be able to distinguish one chicken from another at a distance, because they never really know which chicken did what. They are just about to draw big black letters on the chicken's backs.

The Cochins are feather-footed, so I don't think I could use leg bands because I don't think you could see them. Is that right?

Does anyone have any ideas how to identify these chickens. ???

Thanks,
Matt
barnie.gif

Have you thought of getting "saddles" for them? You could use different colors. That ought to do it.

The saddles are a great idea. Search on here and you will find folks who make them and they are as cute as can be, and you will be able to tell at a distance the difference.

I would love to see them with little Superman capes!

I've read a little about them in the forums. Do the chickens accept them easily? I guess I could make small ones, for color instead of protection.

Can you mix food coloring with shampoo and give them a bath? Or is there a way to paint a little food coloring on them with a brush as they walk by?

I had a hen decide she was going to walk under a freshly painted door instead of walk about 18 inches around it and she ended up with barn red stain on her black feathers all the way down her back. She just moulted and lost the last of the painted feathers. Lasted about 6 months. didn't have pecking problems but she was one of the top hens.

Silkies are easily colored with a KoolAid rinse.

Prepare KoolAid using half the water.

Shampoo and rinse chookie well.

Gently squeeze water, wrap in towel and wick off water for a few minutes.

Place in tub and pour KoolAid over.

Scoop up KoolAid and pour over several times.

Air dry or blow dry.

I understand the warmer the temperature of the KoolAid solution, the stronger the stain.

Viola - Fancily colored chooks

Cheerio ~
Wendy and Fancie
SooperDooper Coops
cool.png

I love it! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pass it on to my GP's today!

Thanks Tucson!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom