Help! White pus in chicken eye??

hanoverhens

Hatching
Aug 13, 2016
Hanover MA
Hello-

We have a Rhode Island hen that has an eye infection. I've talked to several people who say that it is pus that is covering the eye. She is acting completely normal-eating, drinking, socializing, etc. She just can't see out of that eye at the moment.

Now two things: should we remove the pus? If so, what is the best way? We don't want to hurt the hen's eye!
Should we buy the Terramycin antibiotic eye ointment at the Tractor Supply store? How often should we apply it to the eye?

Thanks so much!

Poor girl :( Bird pus is not like human pus, it's solid like that and needs to be removed. Honestly if at all possible I'd get a vet to do it, you don't want to damage her eye accidentally while trying to work it out. Plus you might want to check to be sure it is indeed actually pus before you go trying to remove it - it looks like it is, but better safe than sorry. Even if you can't find a specialized bird vet if you explain the situation to a regular vet they'd probably be willing to help you.

Terramycin is a good idea, it'll treat whatever underlying infection has caused this - but you'll have to get the pus out first.

Thanks. We thought about a vet but we are concerned about cost. I know the bird will need some anesthesia or the like for this. Does anyone know how much this would cost to take to the vet?
bow.gif

I had this in a rooster and was able to squeeze and rub over the eye to work it out. Going to do it again as there is more and use one of those human eye tools with the rubber end to get under the lid. Yes it's cruel and a bit rough but it's either this or I remove it's head.

Back
Top Bottom