Help! White transplucent sacs/bobbles instead of egg

javotte

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Hi, I wonder whether you could help me. I have had 4 hens since last September and could expect one egg every two days from each one of them. I have not had any real problems but one hen (and I cannot differentiate her as they are all behaving OK) laid a mini egg about 10 days ago. Then as I cleaned their coop, I came across a small white sac, which I suspect was an egg straight from the ovary. Checking for egg today, was in the nest a string of white sacs of decreasing size. It definitely looks like it comes straight from the ovaries but did not "solidify" and turn to yolk and white as normal egg production should. It seems like water inside. They are given crushed egg shell for calcium regularly. The poo is a bit runny but then I also give them cooked potato skins and I suspect that's the reason for it. All four are behaving otherwise normally.
Any idea what could be happening?
sad.png

Thanx,
Natalie

Cooked potatoe skins are OK in moderation. No raw potatoes please.

Could be internal laying or some hiccup of the laying equipment. I would watch it closely. I don't like the combination of the soft eggs and runny poo. Not good.
How is her abdomen looking?

You can separate your birds for a few days to see who is having a problem. Inspect all of their vent areas for anything unusual. You sound like you need a lesson on chicken laying. The one active ovary in a chicken contains many many 'eggs' which will ripen one by one into a yolk- that will be released daily or every few days depending on the bird. The ripening process takes close to 2 weeks. Once the yolk is released- it travels down the reproductive tract. It gets layers of albumin placed on it, and last it spends some time in the shell gland and gets a shell. The albumin and shell part of the process takes about a day. If you are seeing soft shelled and yolkless eggs- there is something seriously wrong with your bird's reproductive tract. If a small piece of tissue travels down the tract, it can get layers of albumin on it, and sometimes even a shell--- then you get the 'wind egg or rooster egg'- a small egg with no yolk. You may have seen several of these at the same time if she was having a hard time getting these abnormal eggs out for a few days, and they built up.
More information would be helpful- how old are they, breed, what do you feed, how long have you had them. Separating each into a dog crate to see who it is would be helpful- this will also be useful if you need to supplement her, or have her seenby a vet or feces checked for parasites ect.

Quote:
Well, i don't know if javotte needed a lesson, but i enjoyed it. My girls are little, and they're my first, so i had no idea how it works. I just knew that the egg comes out of the vent.
smile.png

Yes it was exactly like on the picture but with a string of bubble instead of one with a tail.
I must have misread my book as clearly pointed out: it is then obviously not coming off the ovary (silly me!
wink.png
) So much to learn!
big_smile.png

I do not think she has laid since but behaviour is normal. They are about a year and are fed mainly pellet plus scrap from the kitchen from time to time. It was an impressive reject and I found it disturbing. The post does not seem to treat as anything other than fluke, it happened twice in a row though... Very strange...

Back
Top Bottom