2C Whole Corn (I crack/grind)
2C whole oats
2C whole wheat
2C Milo
1C Flax seed
1C BOSS
3/4C alfalfa mill
and yes
1C Roasted Soybean (sometimes whole, sometimes ground)
I kind of feel like I'm missing something bc it can't be this simple
I read the label on several Layer Feed bags and they all have fillers and binders so I wanted to go healthier for my girls.
I made the mistake of raising them on crumbles so they are having to adjust to the whole bits, so I am including the store bought layer feed until they adjust completely.
They do get grit and oyster shell free fed, but I just don't think this is as simple as it is. Any experienced ppl out there that want to lay into me, please feel free. My girl are wonderful and they seem to love me, lol. They also seem to love this recipe but I need to make sure it's correct or balanced enough for when they go full on homemade.
It's small quantities because the whole point is that I want them having fresh food and if I grind for a month, then it would have lost all nutritional value thereby defeating the whole purpose of going fresh.
BTW, this feeds them for 2 to 3 days
Your mix will have some of all the nutrients the birds need, the problems you have are related to relative amounts. Protein level will be comparatively low, and the amino acids listed by @JaeG ( Lysine and methionine) will be present, but well below what is needed compared to the other amino acids that must be supplied to some degree by the diet.

Vitamins and minerals in short supply as indicated by @Folly's place can be supplied with vitamin premixes that can be pricey when purchased in small amounts.

The easiest thing I would do is treat the formulation as a very high quality scratch feed mix. If your birds are free-range with lots of high quality forage, you are good. If forage questionable, then I would be looking further to find recently milled feed and using it as part of the overall feeding regimen.

I use incomplete feeds all the time. It used to be the norm when production levels where lower and birds where allowed out more. Unless you have really good predator control, my suggestion is you do the chickens for dummies approach and go with the commercially available feeds. I would be checking your farmers coop first, then be looking at the big box type stores like Tractor Supply, Orschelns, and Rural King. Still check those bags for run dates.

I may not know crap, but my birds produce a lot of it in good quality.

That the best info I've gotten! Thank you for taking the time, that's what I've started doing. Using for scratch, giving them an extra boost. I think they need more protien than 16 percent, that's a huge drop from grower feed. I did it gradually, don't worry, but still that's a huge drop. Also they get meal worms treat every morning.

Your mix will have some of all the nutrients the birds need, the problems you have are related to relative amounts. Protein level will be comparatively low, and the amino acids listed by @JaeG ( Lysine and methionine) will be present, but well below what is needed compared to the other amino acids that must be supplied to some degree by the diet.

Vitamins and minerals in short supply as indicated by @Folly's place can be supplied with vitamin premixes that can be pricey when purchased in small amounts.

The easiest thing I would do is treat the formulation as a very high quality scratch feed mix. If your birds are free-range with lots of high quality forage, you are good. If forage questionable, then I would be looking further to find recently milled feed and using it as part of the overall feeding regimen.

I use incomplete feeds all the time. It used to be the norm when production levels where lower and birds where allowed out more. Unless you have really good predator control, my suggestion is you do the chickens for dummies approach and go with the commercially available feeds. I would be checking your farmers coop first, then be looking at the big box type stores like Tractor Supply, Orschelns, and Rural King. Still check those bags for run dates.

I may not know crap, but my birds produce a lot of it in good quality.
Oops should of posted here. Thank you for the info and I have started using it as scratch, again this was very informative. Thank u for taking the time to give answers and the reasons for those answers!

Back
Top Bottom