HELP! WHY DOES MY DUCK GO 'STIFF'????

Thanks for answering. ....they last about a minute & I gently rub her chest in the hope it helps? Think I will have to take her to vet after xmas. She seems happy & active apart from these episodes...just like a mischievous little puppy! Yes I'm in Australia, just south of sydney so is warm as summer. Thanks again

Yeah, definitely get her to a vet if you have the means. Hopefully they can shed some light on why this is happening. Good to hear she seems fine otherwise so far, though! Really hope they can help her get over this. I know it would scare the heck out of me, too!

Sounds like seizures, from what I read here. They can be caused by an infection that gets into the nervous system. I think ataxia is a word used for this.

Here is an article from Kimberly Link about seizures. It is from the Majestic Waterfowl newsletter.

"Lifelong seizures are often the result of neurological disorders, which can be genetic, but are more likely the result of a brain or spinal accident that occurred while they were still inside their egg, or the result of an early life injury caused by mishandling (children who hold on too tight), dropping or falling.
The sudden onslaught of seizures in adult ducks and geese is most commonly the result of some kind of poisoning (see our June 2013 Newsletter for detailed information),but other causes may include: injury, tumors, cancer, malnutrition, heatstroke, organ failure and contagious disease.
If your duck or goose is experiencing seizures it's vital that they receive immediate vet care.
To keep your pet's strength up until you arrive at your vet's office, you can give adult birds that weigh more than 3 pounds a 6 ml dose of Karo syrup immediately following each seizure, but remember, this is not a cure. You and your vet will need to determine the cause of the seizures and the appropriate treatment regime."

thank you Amiga...
after having read the newsletter you sent the link to, we think we have put it down to her having some plant fertiliser balls, I didn't realise my husband had put some in a few pots & then he said he saw here nibbling around those plants!!!! I will get her to the vet today when I finish work.
it has been worrying me terribly so hopefully that is all it is??
thank you for also answering my question :)

thank you Amiga...
after having read the newsletter you sent the link to, we think we have put it down to her having some plant fertiliser balls, I didn't realise my husband had put some in a few pots & then he said he saw here nibbling around those plants!!!! I will get her to the vet today when I finish work.
it has been worrying me terribly so hopefully that is all it is??
thank you for also answering my question :)
Oh gosh I hope the vet can help.
fl.gif

If you think it's poisoning, give some activated charcoal slurry and lots of water, and do get her to a vet.

At this point I would NOT do a flush, but would give the charcoal (it is a food-grade supplement available in many pharmacies). Even a teaspoon of charcoal in a quart of water might help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Also, the fertilizer pellets may be very salty, and you could be seeing salt toxicity, so fresh water should help.

Last edited:
Hi
Just giving an update on Daffy's seizures....had her at the vet & yes, possible poisoning from the fertiliser BUT could also be possible mild Epilepsy!!??!!
The vet said to give her another week or two with plenty of water to flush her out if the poisoning, but if seizures continue it will more than likely be the epilepsy....& should seizures get worse or more regular, then she will have to go on medication.
At this stage they do seem to have diminished slightly with her having less & she is as normal & active as ever after her 'episodes', so just a case of monitoring her now.
Thank you all for your help & guiding me in the right direction, appreciate it!! :p

I think it won't hurt to supplement with niacin or even a B complex, using B3 - niacin - as the guide for dosage, 100 mg niacin per gallon of drinking water. That it supposed to help their nervous systems develop.

So glad you were able to get Daffy to the vet!

Back
Top Bottom