HELP..why is my Hen clicking beak together????????

I wouldn't file anything on your chickens beak. They have alot of nerve endings there and it would be painful. Once she gets out of the nest box and pecks around, it will take care of itself naturally.

Chickens are tough in the beginning. There is so much to learn!! =)
Ok...not touching it! Never make a move without research first
thumbsup.gif
Learning everyday!!!!

Is the beak really overgrown? If you have a beak that is curling under, you can clip it. I had one chicken who constantly had a bad over bite and I used dog nail clippers to cut the tip. They do have nerve endings, but I found clipping the tip produced no blood and helped her be able to eat well again.

If your hen is like mine, it's a clicking/clacking sound like two little boards or sticks hitting together and has nothing to do with her mental state. She can hardly get anything in her beak or hold on to it, and i mean anything. her favorite mealworms drop right off, her lettuce is flung but not taken into her mouth, she is trying but barely gets anything in. The vet didn't know what was going on. I had a friend who has a large flock come and check and didn't see that anything was wrong with her beak, tho I did trim a teeny tiny bit off in hopes it was that. I am frustrated for her. I posted her story over in Help Flystrike but no one has replied with any help. No avian vet to see around here. This forum saved my hen's life from our first event with fly strike!!! Going on 2 weeks out from death's door to walking again, but still can't do well with her beak. lots more to share but i'm taking up a lot of space here.....thanks for reading.

If your hen is like mine, it's a clicking/clacking sound like two little boards or sticks hitting together and has nothing to do with her mental state. She can hardly get anything in her beak or hold on to it, and i mean anything. her favorite mealworms drop right off, her lettuce is flung but not taken into her mouth, she is trying but barely gets anything in. The vet didn't know what was going on. I had a friend who has a large flock come and check and didn't see that anything was wrong with her beak, tho I did trim a teeny tiny bit off in hopes it was that. I am frustrated for her. I posted her story over in Help Flystrike but no one has replied with any help. No avian vet to see around here. This forum saved my hen's life from our first event with fly strike!!! Going on 2 weeks out from death's door to walking again, but still can't do well with her beak. lots more to share but i'm taking up a lot of space here.....thanks for reading.

Oh no! hopefully you figure out what is going on with your girl! Whatever the beak clicking was with my girl finally passed. It was due to a little bit of over growth that she eventually resolved herself by getting out and foraging a bit more, Since she had been sitting on eggs, she wasn't out and about like she normally was and that allowed her beak to become a little longer than normal. Sadly, our girl passed in January due to a tumor:( Have you tried posting your own thread in emergencies thread with a picture of her? That is how I get the best response:) Hopefully you can get some support. I am fortunate to have a vet that sees chickens, but 60 miles away! Sending healing vibes for your girl:hugs

Back
Top Bottom