HELP!!!! Wild bantam chickens got out. FINAL UPDATE--------------

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, May 5, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    HELP. I got 3 REALLY people shy bantys yesterday, 2 silkies and a unknown breed. Well when you pick these things up they scream bloody murder! I went out today to feed them, and the rooster and 2 of them flew right over the 4 1/2 foot tall fence. I tried my best to catch them with net, But every step I take they run 20 more feet ahead of me. The black one took of into the woods, the grayish white silkie took off into the swamp. Im So scared me and my mom tried to get ahead of them but the swamp slowed us down and we diddent even catch sight of them. [​IMG] the little banty roosters crowing, and we let a few of the big girls out. Im hoping they come back to be with the others and ill see were they roost and I can get them. Im crying I dont even know what to do!

Im going to finish my chores outside, then come in the house so I dont scare them more.

I have to find them by tonight or there gonners.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I would just put out some food and hope they come back when they're hungry. If they have roosted in your pen before then chances are they'll come back. I would consider clipping their wings when you get them back. Don't worry, it will all be fine. [​IMG] Good luck! [​IMG]

3. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    Try to keep an eye on them, but don't chase them. Once it's dusk, they'll look for a place to roost. Once it's dark, you can take them off their roost and return them to the pen. They can't/won't run once they're roosting for the night and it's darker.

4. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    The problem is there a half 1/4 a mile in the woods. no way I can keep a eye on them now. There is one black silkie and a serama rooster that are in the run still. Im hoping the other 2 will come back for them. And there is a roost, But there banty coop is surrounded by chicken wire so hopefully they can get over it to roost for the night.

Uhh once I catch them they are getting there wings clipped.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry to hear they escaped. Who would expect a silkie could get over 41/2 ft fence? at least mine never could. Hopefully they will heat the Serma rooster still in the pen and decide to come back. You could try putting sme food down in area surrounding the pen tomorrow. If you see them in the area maybe you can try to heard them toward some sort of wall or corner where you can use some netting perhaps to catch them.

good luck

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  6. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster was the same way when we got him. He got out and couldnt get him. 2 days after being alone he walks right into the coop and has been there since. Hes really happy now that he has his hens. Leave some food they will remember where they flew from and hopefully be back. And get a top on the pen. Had.to do that too lol

7. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Update: Still no sign of black one [​IMG] (my favorite)
    But the white one found its way back, and is trying its hardest to get back in th pen with the rooster, But im not going to try to catch it again, I keep peeking my head out the window waiting to see were i goes to roost, and ill get it tonight and clip the wings.

Btw the white one is a silkie cross (the one that got out)
    the black one is a unknown breed
    the other black one is a purbred silkie (it couldent get out)

8. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I agree, put some food out. I'm sure they will come home. Also waiting for dark and looking for them. They go into a stouper after dark and should be failry easy to catch if yousee them. Putting a top on the run woud keep them safe from predators too. Good luck

9. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    we got the little whitish gray one, I clipped her wings.

Its now dark out and there is still one out there [​IMG] , gee I hope it went somewhere where there is no predators that can find it. My dad went to pull in the drive way and saw it run across the road. But atleast I know its not in the swamp..

10. Thatchickenguy

Thatchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    u have to get a bird dog. like a black lab. one that will hold the birds but not hurt em. thats how i caught my wild american game

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by