HELP will dead chicks under the hen kill the ones inside the eggs?

Guilili

Hatching
Aug 9, 2020
Hi guys, this is my first post here and unfortunately not a very happy one.
I have a first time broody, a bluebell hen, we started with 12 eggs,, during the first week she took out 3 and the rest stayed. Today is the 21st day and yesterday I went to check on the eggs and found out 2 underdeveloped, but already feathered dead chicks under her, and also an egg without half of the hard shell. I took the dead birds out and left the others there but there is a pungent smell of death. My question is if because there were dead decomposing birds under her that might have killed the ones still to hatch. If so I may try o get some recently hatched chicks from someone close to me so that she will raise them. What do you think?

:welcome Sorry for the circumstances. It is possible that the remaining eggs are not viable. If no chicks hatch within the next 24 hours, I would try to get some chicks to foster to the hen. Good luck.

:welcome Sorry for the circumstances. It is possible that the remaining eggs are not viable. If no chicks hatch within the next 24 hours, I would try to get some chicks to foster to the hen. Good luck.
I am already looking for some but only found 8days old ones do you think she will adopt them at 8 days old?

Back
Top Bottom