HELP !!!!!!Winterizing my coop

I am in need of some immediate help/advice . My hubby and my son built a chicken coop for our girls/boys. The sides are steel (siding only). we have vents at the top of the walls. there is a screen door for a door --that gets covered in plastic every night now that it is getting colder. there is straw and hay both on the floor for them. the water/feed is inside along with a feeder/water outside. they also have a flock block in the run and also inside.
Here is the problem---most of them sleep on the roosts that surround the inside of the coop. there have been a few that cram into the corners. Sadly we have lost 2 chickens in 2 days. we think that it is because they are cold. Now here is where I need the help--heat light?? Insulation?? build a new door?? Any ideas how to make our girls/boys happy and safe is greatly appreciated!!
PS: please don't say let them out at night--we have too many predators around here.
thank you!!

I am in need of some immediate help/advice . My hubby and my son built a chicken coop for our girls/boys. The sides are steel (siding only). we have vents at the top of the walls. there is a screen door for a door --that gets covered in plastic every night now that it is getting colder. there is straw and hay both on the floor for them. the water/feed is inside along with a feeder/water outside. they also have a flock block in the run and also inside.
Here is the problem---most of them sleep on the roosts that surround the inside of the coop. there have been a few that cram into the corners. Sadly we have lost 2 chickens in 2 days. we think that it is because they are cold. Now here is where I need the help--heat light?? Insulation?? build a new door?? Any ideas how to make our girls/boys happy and safe is greatly appreciated!!
PS: please don't say let them out at night--we have too many predators around here.
thank you!!
You shood probably build a new door and a heat lamp always helps if they get cold then they can move under it and insulation never hurts all of those things are good ideas if you need any more help just ask

oh no they do perch I hate them in the boxes that is why I have three. what I meant by perch together is share.. I had 2 perches and the 3 younger ones eneded up being shoved off. So I put a third perch.

My neighbors have had chickens for over 35 years and all the have in their coop is a 60 w bulbs nothing more. They use hay and shavings. However it is attached to a small barn where her hubby light his wood stove most nights but is not on all night. I on the other hand have a 4x4 coop when a secure enclosed run. I am in New England near the coast. We are leaving the door open to come and go as they please for food and water. We will close them if a storm is coming or very windy. I am going to heat my water system and have a 25 w infrared on a thermoblock if below 34. This board is great because i get all kinds of advice which help me decided on what I was going to do. I have a video of my coop before i winterized it if you want to see it. FYI not very good talking and taping..LOL..

Last edited:
Nice video I'm in mass also leominster, I'm using clear shower curtains to enclose the run so they can get lots of light and sunshine. I'm not going to heat the coop but I do have an automatic door the D20 add a motor Amazon for around $80 it's great especially since you have power out there. Very easy to install.

Hi
I have a cabin coop design. All summer my chicken can leave the hen house into the enclose run all the want. I have their food and water and a perch in the run. I let then out of the cabin often but not everday.

Iam trying to prep for winter and there area few things I am not sure of.

I am in eastern mass near the cape so we get pretty good winters.

I am going to put a 100W bulb in the coop on a thermal block.

I think we are going to leave the food and water in the run. However, I was going to leave the doorway open so they r free to go in and out as they please. My husband built a door to enclose then in the hen house at night. He was concern the doorway was to much of a draft. I on the other hand felt that was the only ventilation they had since all the windows were closed for the winter in regards to draft risks. I also liked not having to go out every day to let then out into the enclosed run to eat and drink. Should we close them up at night completely or can I leave the door open for the winter? ( we are putting wind breaks on the coop) Can I put a flap style door that I can train them to go in and out of or a door is best?

Note: I am doing deep litter method too

I know I can go out every morning but I am trying to avoid everyday. during the summer I sometimes don't go out there until afternoon to check water and food. Somedays I don't have to because i have a nipple system and hopper for feed.

I would love a automatic door but don't have the money for that this year.

if they are closed up completely because of drafts should I open at least one small rectangular vent or they will be fine?

I took a look at your video. Nice setup! I personally would leave the pop door open year round. You could try some hanging flaps like those on your nest boxes but the birds may not like them. You could ask your DH to make a tunnel for your pop door (see mine below). This would knock down drafts. I would also leave upper vents open and only close during storm events. You will want things mostly open if you add a bulb or lamp. A poop board below your roost bars that you can scrape daily would be nice to have or be sure to add plenty of pine chips (looks like it needs chips in the video). I use a dust pan and scraper to remove poop during my daily rounds. Your free range area outside the wood fenced area looks great but also an ideal spot for a dog or coyote to ambush the girls. Hopefully you have a field fence at the perimeter or watch them closely outside. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom