Help With 2 Week Old Chicks

photohutch13

Songster
Jul 8, 2020
Eastern Kansas
Help! Half of our two-week old cornish cross chicks are having issues and I don't know what to do. Their rear ends look as if they can't poop and are severely enlarged. I tried wiping a couple with warm water to see if that would help but it didn't seem to do any good. They don't appear to have pasty butt so I don't know what to do. They will walk a couple steps and immediately sit down. Any suggestions?

Chick1.jpg

Attachments

• Chick2.jpg
    Chick2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 6
Are they pecking at each other? Just thinking you may not notice how big their butts are if they were covered in feathers.

CX aren't known for being the most active birds, even as chicks. Other than not moving much, are there any other symptoms? Can you put puppy pads or paper towels over their bedding? Then you will be able to see fresh poop or determine if they are pooping.

Are they pecking at each other? Just thinking you may not notice how big their butts are if they were covered in feathers.

CX aren't known for being the most active birds, even as chicks. Other than not moving much, are there any other symptoms? Can you put puppy pads or paper towels over their bedding? Then you will be able to see fresh poop or determine if they are pooping.
No, they aren't pecking or bothering each other. Eight of the thirteen seem to be fine. The other five barely lift up to move and then sit right down like they don't feel well. They are the ones with the enlarged bottoms. I read others having the same issue but nothing resolved

Back
Top Bottom