help with a bully duck!!

sbohlar

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2015
Texas
Maybe to late for my teen male (I think it's a male) duck, but here goes. I am new to ducks. I have a runner female who lays an egg every morning. I got another duck for company. Multi color yellow beak and green head, male younger I think. Then hubby brought home a 3 year old female (that is what the owner said) she was sitting on 2 of their chickens and pecking at their neck. We thought she would be OK with ducks. She is BIG. Maybe a pekin. She is solid white with yellow beak. My male is big but not as big. They were all fine for about week then she started chasing, sitting on, pecking and herding the male. Went to let the ducks out this morning and the male can't walk. I don't know if she broke or dislocated his legs or what. I have him separated them. I guess my question is 1. Is there any hope for my male duck? Is there anything I can do for him. He is not eating or drinking. 2. Now that bully duck does not have the male to pick on, will she move on to the other. What should I do with her? Any advice will be appreciated.

Get the injured drake into lukewarm water deep enough to float in. If you can set him up so he can stay in the water a while, that will help. Don't leave him alone for a while at first - you need to be sure he won't get exhausted and drown, or lose his balance and drown. Maybe have something in the water he can rest on if he needs to.

If you can get him to a good duck vet, that would be best.

While he's in the water you may be able to determine more about his injury. It could be temporary, and he may only need some rest, some peace and quiet, and a chance to recover.

hennible's vet said ducks can have Advil.

A note on pain killers for ducks. Straight from the vets mouth, ducks can have Advil.
For ducks 6-8 lbs 25-40mg twice daily adult tablets cut up or children's liquid Advil 1.5ml twice daily, orally.

Amiga’s arithmetic – 8 pounds 40 mg is 5 mg per pound
6 pounds 25 mg, is just over 4 mg per pound

so, 4 to 5 mg per pound of duck

About the bully - do we know she is a she?

The previous owner said she was female and laying eggs. She hasn't laid an egg so I don't know she might be a he. My injured duck did not make it. I would like some more ducks and chickens but I just don't know if it is safe with the bully.

Ok so the previous owners of the bully duck did not know what they were talking about and I know I do not know what I am doing. So I think bully duck is a male. I think I witnessed an attempt at breeding this morning. It seemed normal until they both fell over sideways. Then bully duck jumps off and my female chases him like she is going to eat him. So that would explain why the bully duck killed my other duck that was a young male? Right? So do yall think it is safe to get more ducks just make sure they are female? Also, EGGS currently she leaves me one egg in the morning. What happens now. I still want the eggs so if I gather them and put them in the frig will that be ok?

Back
Top Bottom