Help with a found hatchling!

hortulanus

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
I work at an animal shelter and we had a woman bring us a hatchling muscovy on saturday, wildlife will not take it because the ducks aren't native here. However the little baby is almost always shaking very hard unless im holding it very close to me or under my shirt, I just got back to work today and noticed my coworkers did not have him under a light source so at first I thought maybe he was cold (I currently have someone in route to pick him up a heat bulb) however is there any nuerological things that could be affecting him?

welcome-byc.gif

The first thing that comes to mind is that it is cold. See what happens once you provide a heat source.

I work at an animal shelter and we had a woman bring us a hatchling muscovy on saturday, wildlife will not take it because the ducks aren't native here. However the little baby is almost always shaking very hard unless im holding it very close to me or under my shirt, I just got back to work today and noticed my coworkers did not have him under a light source so at first I thought maybe he was cold (I currently have someone in route to pick him up a heat bulb) however is there any nuerological things that could be affecting him?
Have any rescues in the area? and I'm with sourland hopefully it's just cold. when first hatched ducklings need temps around 85* first week 5 degrees cooler each week there after till fully feathered. I live in NC and Carolina Waterfowl rescue will take in Muscovy's, so hopefully there is one in your area that will. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
So you have had this duckling since Saturday? Have you been trying to feed it as well? If their body temps are too low they will not be able to metabolize and digest their feed. A heating pad will work as well. Where are you located?

I got him today. Even with heat he is still shaking and not walking very well, although he is eating and drinking.

I got him today. Even with heat he is still shaking and not walking very well, although he is eating and drinking.
I'd put a stuffed animal in with him to cuddle with and if you can find one a safe mirror so he can see his self. works wonders for lone ducklings. Can you get some poultry vitamins with electrolytes to add to it's water?

Back
Top Bottom