help with a pygmy goat kid questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by simba49450, Nov 28, 2008.

1. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    i will be getting a weened pygmy kid and besides the hay, goat feed,trace mineral block and salt block should the buckling be fed grain and if so what kind. also what about scratch feed it has allsorts of different stuff mixed in. later on i will have him fixed but for now i need to know wether or not i should by grain and what kind for the kid and when should i switch to something else. for the regular feed im buying the medicated stuff. im a new goat owner and i will recieve the kid around christmas so im find all the info i can find:D

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Instead of a mineral block, you should use loose minerals. He should get pelleted goat feed, not sweet. I would avoid the scratch grains, as they contain corn which is not good for goats.

Congrats!

3. simba49450

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    thanks for the info but the problem is at the tractor supply where im at they dont sell anything but the block. also the places i have read says that babies need the sweet feed for growth. but not too much, but i also read that until they reach a certain age, i forgot he age that they need a bottle too. i have no idea, i am so confused on this since there is so much conflicting reading materials!!! its over welming. thanks for the heads up on the scratch grain, i am so excited about getting my baby!! i cant wait!! thanks again

4. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    corn is like "candy" to goats and too much candy is bad.

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It's great that you are researching and learning before you bring the little dude home. You and he will be so happy because you will be all ready for him.

Goats are very social animals and need to be with other goats. You really need to have at least two goats together for them to happy and healthiest. Single goats get bored and can even have mental health issues due to the stress of not having a companion. Can you get another little one close to his age for him to have as a friend?

You said that he was weaned so you don't need to bottle feed him. How old is he?

You also said that you will have him fixed later? That means he's a buckling now? I highly suggest you have his owners band him or wether him now by some other means.

He needs a good quality hay, probably grass hay or a grass/alfalfa mix right now. I've not had wethers so I don't have the experience to give you good, solid advice in this are. Others here do though. Goats do much better with loose minerals as stated above. It's also best to leave out some baking soda in a container that they have ready access to if they get an upset tummy. They know when they need it.

I always encourage new people to spend some time on http://fiascofarm.com/ website. Lots of great help there.

Good luck, keep learning - you will love your goat(s)! [​IMG]

7. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    Hay browse and minerals and a very SMALL amount of pellet while he is growing only. Feeding grain/pellets at all to a wether goat will only lead to urinary calculi (very common). Have him wethered now, not later. My friend waited untill 12 weeks to neuter (band) her goat and to this day the goat jumps on her shoulders and humps the back of her head. I know she would kill me for this but here is a pic, notice her hair in his mouth:lol:

This is not even the worst of behaviors that a buck will have haha

[​IMG]

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Also you can get the loose minerals for cattle and goats love them ...thats what I use if I cant get goats loose minerals. They are almost the same...I avoid the sweetlicks tubs as too much molasses and the blocks are too hard for them to get what they need. The only block I have is plain salt.

9. simba49450

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    thanks for the help!! later on after i get the little guy to bond with me first i will be possibly getting another one. on the feed and such thanks so much for the info it has helped alot thanks again everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by