Help with a runt (Lil Bits)

menchelke

Chirping
Mar 28, 2023
Golden Valley Arizona 86413
The lil tan one in the front, is what my rooster and hen looked like way back. They were labeled Americauna, and hen has no tail feathers. Anyway, all the siblings are fine, the black one is by an easter egger hen, with same rooster.

One hatched Mar 24th, that was day 20, and the rest hatched day 21, on March 25th.

I and wife made few mistakes, and opened the incubator before they all hatched, and the runt, Lil Bits, had pipped, but never zipped, and we had to carefully extract him on day 23. He had broke hole but membrane was drying up. Tried wet towel wrap and using a qtip I put avocado oil on his membrane but still it kept shrinking so we did a shrink wrap rescue.

When added to brooder with rest of clutch, they all ran it over, and we had to separate it and keep just 1 other chick with it. Currently running incubator on my desk, with 1 healthy so I can better observe normal sleep and eating pattern.

Lil one sleeps a lot, and is unsteady but does get loud and chirpy, and drinks the water after dipping beak, but I haven't seen it really pecking around and eating on it's own.

This one we helped out of shell on 26 March Sunday morning.
I have done the following.

First night mixed tiny pinch of salt, and teaspoon of honey and boiled water, mixed it all together and added 2 teaspoons to its water dish.
2nd day I blended an egg yolk with quart of water, and half teaspoon of blackstrap molasses, got it to drink a little.
Then I took that, and blended my chick starter into it, to make sort of like a mush got it to drink some of that water, but can't really get it to eat.

Can't really tell if it's getting weaker or not. It did look like it was trying to eat, but would pluck at the larger pieces of food then drop them, vs eating them. Crop feels empty. It is still pooping a bit.

Today I got some Save-A-Chick probiotics and electrolytes and put that into some water for it, and every hour or 2, I just open the incubator and dip it's beak and it drinks.

Is there anything more I can do, I tried to feed it, like you would a baby cockatiel but obviously it doesn't open it's beak like a cockatiel for the food, so I dunno.

I am stressing way to much.

I just want to make sure I am doing all I can, and hopefully avoid more mistakes like I made when incubating the eggs. If this guy survives then 5 out of 6 eggs made it, the one that didn't was underdeveloped and never even pipped, so it died before I ever opened incubator, so I am not laying that one on myself, but this one, wife and I are doing our best.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• 20230328_114306.jpg
    20230328_114306.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230317_184347.jpg
    20230317_184347.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220912_083143.jpg
    20220912_083143.jpg
    888.9 KB · Views: 5
Finally got lil bits to nurse from end of syringe with the yolk/food/molasses blend. Thinking if makes it through the night I will mix up some more mash that I can syringe feed, but using the save-a-chick brew water as the base. Unless anyone has any other idea. I try to only bug the chick every 3 hours or so, it pretty much sleeps the between times.

Sometimes things just don't work out. Aint your fault but you done more than I would have. Unless it's a rare breed or something I don't even bother.

Back
Top Bottom