Help with an injured wild bird?!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LittleRedCoop, Oct 27, 2011.

1. LittleRedCoop

LittleRedCoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    There's a young(?) wild bird outside our back door huddled under a gap beneath the siding next to the foundation. It's snowing out right now. The bird seems incapable of flight and hops around. It's been there for over an hour. Should I attempt a rescue? What should I do? I am having trouble with my conscience and feel horrible about letting nature take its course. Has anyone attempted a wild bird rescue before? What did you do? The bird is very small, the size and stature of a chickadee but it doesn't have a black head and it has black-tipped wings. Please help!

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I'd suggest if you want to stage a rescue, to get on the horn with a wildlife rehabber. The only species you can legally keep/help are invasive ones, like starlings and house sparrows. Plus, a wildlife rehabber knows exactly what they're doing.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    X2 but until you find a rehablitator get a box and put it in there with a towel or blanket. And than put the box in a dark room where it is quiet. But please find someone to help you. If you need help finding someone you can pm me. I am on a wildlife site that knows where to find them. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by