Help with antibiotics in water please

Thegirlsclub

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Hi. This week I lost my beautiful Lavender Orpington, Hyacinth. By the time I could tell she wasn’t well I had to wait 24 hours to get her to ER Vet. She was gone in 20 min of arrival :( They think it was a respiratory disease. Two of my girls looked off to me. Pale comb and wattles so they had me bring them in. Said they probably had same thing Mycoplasma. Also tested positive for coccidosis!
they are 6 mos old. Anyway vet has them on medicated chick food and an antibiotic in their water. I don’t think they like water taste now are not drinking. I read they may not drink it and get dehydrated. Now what do I do????? I’ve locked them in coop/run so they only have one option for food and water but if they don’t drink then what? Necropsy report due in a few days to confirm diagnosis. I sure could use some help. Thank you

What exactly were the symptoms of the chicken that died? What antibiotic did the vet give you to put in the water, and what dosage? Is it for coccidiosis or for mycoplasma (MG?) Antibiotics may be better given orally to the sick chicken. Coccidiosis meds are usually given in the water.

He told me to give the medicated chick food for coccidosis. ( I did for first 14 weeks of their lives)
Her symptoms were so vague. She was lethargic and panting, drank a little but no food. Was just laying in grass while others were foraging. I separated her and she was just so obviously uncomfortable. Checked to see if it could be an egg bound issue but didn’t appear to be. When he examined her he said he could hear that her lungs were very labored. When I bright the two the next day he said their breathing was not great. He gave me a powder mix TYLOSIN TARTRATE. enough for 50 gallons
But he did think it was Mycoplasma

Coccidiosis should be treated with either Corid which you can buy at most feed stores, or sulfa antibiotics. Toltrazuril is a third drug used sometimes.Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Medicated feed will not help if their fecal float showed a lot of coccidia. The Tylosin should treat symptoms of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. How much are you adding to a gallon of water? Most add 1 tsp per gallon of Tylosin for 3-5 days.

MG can cause watery eyes with bubbles or foam, swelling around an eyelid, sneezing, and lethargy.

Back
Top Bottom