help with antibiotics

our girls12

In the Brooder
May 6, 2017
Comment: My concern is I can not find one definitive answer in all my research. Can you eat eggs from chickens that have been on antibiotics?

We have a 3 week old chick that seems to be unsteady on her feet. Eating and drinking but walks backwards at times and like I said - unsteady. We did take her to the vet to see if maybe there was a leg issue. She stated she was a good weight, hydrated and looked healthy. She suggested a Vit B shot which we did and a 10 day course of Amoxicillian and a antiflammatory med incase there was some spinal damage. (may have been stepped on by other chicks or miss handled by a visitor - ex small child who's family was caring for chicks when I was away)

Back to the point.... I stopped by my local feed store (where I purchased our chicks) and confirmed that the hatchery is Mereck free and that they are not vaccinated. He was absolute that we can NEVER eat the eggs from that chick!! The vet said we had to wait 6 weeks before eating any eggs but because the chick is only 3 weeks old and certainly not a layer we would not have an issue.

-does the antibiotic stay in the chicken for the life of the chicken??
-If yes - is it only because some people have an allergy to eggs therefore they should not eat them?
-Or will it cause people who eat them to develop and resistance to antibiotics?

WHAT IS THE FACT?? Please can you help us.

Susan

Ps not sure which forum I should be posting on.

From my understanding different antibiotics have a different withdraw period before the eggs will be safe to eat. I had to medicate for a respiratory infection, but my pulleys likely wont lay their first eggs for another 8 weeks. By the time they lay their first eggs they will be safe to eat. Sorry I don't know the specifics for the mess you used, but there is hope!

Please oh please help I move through my cheeks with my big chickens they're all bantams let me look big enough that they were doing fine today I found him dead two of them no signs of why they died and one of them was ripped open what happened to them did my chicken coop please help

Three chicks are dead I thought they were doing ok with me moving them in with my big chickens all bantams they were fine for a week until now

Back
Top Bottom