Help with bad case of dry pox

Hello,
One of my hens (my fav of course) Dutch Bantam Thelma has a bad case of dry pox. I noticed a few white pimple like bumps on her comb on 5/7. It didn't help that I had to drive cross country with them a week after I noticed it. Now it's nearly 3 weeks later and it's gotten worse...over the weeks it progressed to her waddles and near her eyes. I've tried iodine, toothpaste, vetericyn plus, bacitracin zinc ointment and have been giving her liquid electrolytes/probiotics. This morning I was cleaning her up and a couple little scabs on one of her waddles/near her eye came off, and the lesions near her eyes have scabs on them, the area around her eyes does look better, it's turning red again in that area...so maybe we've started turning the corner ? but other than that her whole comb seems white-ish swollen but I can see some red comb underneath in some areas. She also has a couple sores on her legs/feet. I just gave her a warm bath and put vetericyn on again. Is the idea to dry it out or keep it moist ? Any experience/input would be greatly appreciated. She's not feeling 100% but is doing ok, eating drinking poop looks good etc. Thanks so much for any help.
i think that applying iodine will help,also give her a vitamin supplement so she can recover sooner.

Well isnt that a rare sight. Are those painful? Maybe they are stress induced so hopefully no more traveling. Any allergy foods that she may have eaten?

I would personally treat it as thrush and seek the appropriate medicine. If you are in a place where medicines are illegal, ask a vet for the correct one.

Here is more info. I dont uaually link offsite, but it seems like decent info. They also say it is common to have worms with an outbreak, so also make sure she is up to date on worm treatments.
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.com/moniliasis-thrush-in-chickens-symptoms--treatments.html
Sorry I never responded to these posts. But she fully recovered, the big scabbed area on her comb finally came off with my help. She lost most of her comb but it grew back, not as lovely as it was originally but it did. Unfortunately I lost her this past summer - a year after that incident. She just wasn't acting 100% one morning and I started nursing her and she died the next day. No clue what happened but she was 7 yrs old. My fav girl ever. Thanks for your replies.

Sorry I never responded to these posts. But she fully recovered, the big scabbed area on her comb finally came off with my help. She lost most of her comb but it grew back, not as lovely as it was originally but it did. Unfortunately I lost her this past summer - a year after that incident. She just wasn't acting 100% one morning and I started nursing her and she died the next day. No clue what happened but she was 7 yrs old. My fav girl ever. Thanks for your replies.
I’m so sorry you lost her. 😞 Rest peacefully sweet chicken. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom