Help with barrel waterer

Hey Rachel we are pretty close so I feel your heat lol
tongue.png
our poor chickens
yep we tested it seems to work we had a little leak in our barrel hose connection so we had to seal it again so we have to wait for it to dry so tomorrow we will set it up in the run and I will post pictures then.

wish us luck we need all we can get

Its overflowing because of the head pressure, the supply is higher than the trough. if you simply lift the trough level with the water level it will stop! without doing that youll need a float stop to cut the flow when it reaches full.....

well wish I knew that before we got the float and set it up thanks for the info we though the "gravity" ment it had to be higher then the barrel we made a mini setup using soda bottles and it worked with the "barrel" higher so we couldn't figure out what we were doing wrong with the larger version.

I'll have pictures up tomorrow

ok so went out a bought the trought o matic by Little Giant and with a little rigging it should work just fine thanks a lot for the help

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....shopping.com&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=37372

i use those for all of my chickens, well at least for half the year. All my chickens are in the barn so up in the hay loft I have barrels with hoses that run through the floor to a lg float valve in a metal feed pan. This works great for broilers and layers alike. It save ALOT of work with the broilers and I can feel safe knowing they won't run out on really hot days.

ok this is my husband and son trying to fix our leaking problem (still not fixed
th.gif
) but below you will see how we set up the trough the buckets are our makeshift legs for the trough to lift it off the ground. We filled it thru the float with the hose and it works with the float and the girls LOVE it and NO bedding in it
celebrate.gif

when we finally get the leak with the barrel fixed I will post pictures of the whole setup (hubby getting an barrel from work)
wish us luck!

Love the idea but it seems the water trought is a bit big and open. Chickens can easily poop in there:(

An easy fix would be to take out that big PVC pipe and replace it with a 1" PVC and run watering nipples along it. It will save water and keep it nice and clean:)

I made a video on the watering nipple that put into a water bottle for my brooder. It's small but it can easily be applied to the PVC water pipe.

Here is my post that has a link to my video:) I hope it helps!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/680874/diy-video-chicken-waterer-for-brooder

Last edited:
thanks, but all is well no poop in it but we do have one that likes to walk thru it
we have two water cups attached to the side but no one likes to use them so we don't think they will like the nipples

thanks, but all is well no poop in it but we do have one that likes to walk thru it
we have two water cups attached to the side but no one likes to use them so we don't think they will like the nipples

Your very welcome:)

You know, even getting there feet in the water will get bacteria in the water that can get your girls sick:( I don't mean to be pushy but I really believe these nipples are a great thing to use so how about this, setup a water judge that has one of these water nipples to test it and see if your girls will use it. Heck, I will send you one:) Great water saver and keeps out ALL dirt.

They are very cheap! I paid like $6 for 10 nipples and that included the shipping my friend.

Ether way you go there both good ideas.

Lord Bless you and yours:)

Back
Top Bottom