HELP With Bobwhite Quail

Buckaroo

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Milton Florida
I hatched about 25 quail a week ago, and have lost a bird a day, then again this morning another, and 3 by this afternoon. What is going on?

Here is what I have

Birds are in a 4' X 18'' brooder with raised hardware cloth bottom with heat lamp. Also have aluminum foil set around to hold the heat styrofoam on each side like a lean two. It is nice and cozy under there, and not over heated. Birds stay under there most of the time. I also have the birds outside screened in porch. I am feeding them crushed chick starter, keeping them in food most of the day.

Am I doing something wrong, I was worried about the temp outside, but has only gotten to the mid 60's for a low, thats why the foil and foam. Any ideas why birds are dropping everyday. It seems like they are all fine, then all of a sudden, dead bird. Whats up?

Last edited:
It sounds like you are doing everything just fine. Maybe you might want to switch to gamebird feed, it is higher in protein, thats what I feed mine. But with that said I don't think that is why you are loosing your quail. Sometimes it just happens. Sorry you lost some:(

Are the temps changing alot? If the temps swing too much from day to night it can cause problems even if the lowest temp is not too cold under the light.

The temps are around 80 for high, then dropping to around 70, except last night went to about 65. Tonight its going down to around 47. So i drapped a thick blanket over the brooder covering top and sides. I thought that I have kept up with the temp changes.

The brooder is to large for indoors, plus the hwcloth bottom would be a mess. I had planned to keep them in a plastic tub indoors like I do the chickens when hatched, but read that they need to be on wire due to them eating poo and dying.

Should I put them in a tub and bring inside?

I had mine in a plastic tote with paper towels the first couple days. I changed the flooring frequently. I lost a couple, one drowned (even with the marbles in there) and 2 just died.

So sorry to hear about your loss. If they're staying under the light they're probably cold. I'm not an expert though.

Its wierd, like the have a heart attack all excited about the food. lol Yesterday I fed them, and they were all running around like cockroaches, then when the were done, there one lays, dead in the food dish. ( actually a flat lid) Maybe one got mad at the other and pecked it. Some of the other dead were bleeding out the nose, and had blood around the cage, I assume victoms of a brutel pecking.

I've never heard quail had to be kept on wire floors. In fact most articles I've read say if they are on wire floored cages to cover it for the first week and then shavings or sand are often recommended as much as the wire floors. That's mostly to prevent leg damage but in this case with them outside I would think the open floor bottom would lead to more heat loss and drafts. 47F is also way too cold to be outside. I doubt the heat lamp can counter that and I wouldn't trust just covering in blankets. I think you should try moving them inside and see if your losses go down.

Last edited:
Id have to say its to cold and the wire bottom is no good, they are probably getting a draft and that maybe why they are dying,, after 4 years of raising bobwhite Ive never raised them on anything but wood chips..of course we cover the chips for the first week and half with paper towel till they get used to the feed.. But i do think the wire bottom is allowing way to much of a draft.. I prefer the little bobs to say out from under the brooder lamp as i know they are plenty warm, if they hang under the lamp all of the time chill is getting the best of them..Ours are also raised on game bird starter or even turkey starter..
Best bet is to get them into something draft free and where you can keep the temp around 97 and lower it by 5 degrees or so every week if you can..This should perk them up, also if you have electro lites you could put some in there water to give added energy for the time being..or even some lite sugar water..

I Hope all this helps

Charlie

Last edited:
I keep mine in rubbermaid totes in the basement up to 100 at a time. Quail need warm and dry no drafts, they are VERY delicate. They do not eat their poo. You can supplement their diet with crumbled hard boiled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom