Help with BR & EE sex. Any ideas?!?!?!

EE is definitely a girl, that BR, everytime I have seen a barred bird w/ solid black feathers on a what sex is this thread has always been a tell tale boy trait, however that is just read information, not my own knowledge.

If it were my bird I would take hold of it and get down into those feathers in the saddle area, part the big ones and look for the small just starting ones they should still be mostly sheathed, look at the tips that are poking out, if they are thin and pointy you will know for sure it is a boy.

If it were my bird I would take hold of it and get down into those feathers in the saddle area, part the big ones and look for the small just starting ones they should still be mostly sheathed, look at the tips that are poking out, if they are thin and pointy you will know for sure it is a boy.
Ok I will do that. I was out there inspecting feathers to see if I could see any hackle or saddle feathers but none stood out (I guess I need to investigate deeper...)

Ok I will do that. I was out there inspecting feathers to see if I could see any hackle or saddle feathers but none stood out (I guess I need to investigate deeper...)
Barreds can be hard when they are hatchery stock or backyard variety...they don't follow standard patterns.

That comb size and color looks roo-ish to me. Here's another trick...go out at night with a flashlight....the emerging hackle feathers (spiky) and any emerging saddle feathers will be very shiny sparkly and will glimmer nicely in the flashlight. Compare to your EE pullet...she will have a nice sheen but and some shine on her neck feathers, but it is more of a matte finish. Those emerging spiky hackles and saddle will pick up the light and shine back in stripes off the shafts.

Anyway that has worked for me when I had a Barred that just wasn't quite following the rules (got a 40/60 split here on BYC).

Lady of McCamley

Barreds can be hard when they are hatchery stock or backyard variety...they don't follow standard patterns.

That comb size and color looks roo-ish to me. Here's another trick...go out at night with a flashlight....the emerging hackle feathers (spiky) and any emerging saddle feathers will be very shiny sparkly and will glimmer nicely in the flashlight. Compare to your EE pullet...she will have a nice sheen but and some shine on her neck feathers, but it is more of a matte finish. Those emerging spiky hackles and saddle will pick up the light and shine back in stripes off the shafts.

Anyway that has worked for me when I had a Barred that just wasn't quite following the rules (got a 40/60 split here on BYC).

Lady of McCamley
I tried to look at the feathers in that area but had a hard time knowing if they were hackle feathers coming in or just regular feathers

Back
Top Bottom