Help with BR & EE sex. Any ideas?!?!?!

JesNflock

Songster
10 Years
Sep 11, 2013
NE Florida,US
I have a couple chicks that are now about 7- 8 weeks old that I'm not sure of the gender. one is a BR (who I'm thinking is looking VERY Rooish by comb size and color..much bigger than any of my other chicks but none are the same breed so maybe not a good comparison)

The other is a EE...I think shes a pullet but I really have no idea and may be just wishful thinking as I know next to nothing about sexing chickens

Any thoughts?

The EE is a pullet. The BR looks like a rooster due to the larger pinker comb but its not huge so its hard to tell. Do you have a pic of the BR as a day old?

The EE is a pullet. The BR looks like a rooster due to the larger pinker comb but its not huge so its hard to tell. Do you have a pic of the BR as a day old?
No, I didn't get him until around 5 or 6 weeks old (so I'm not even sure his exact age just a rough idea) I'm still holding out that "he" won't start crowing at some point lol

They are all girls. The EE is 100% girl.

I'm basing this off the assumption that the barred rock is purebred (albeit hatchery stock). If it is mixed, that's a whole other story. The colour is female.

They are all girls. The EE is 100% girl.

I'm basing this off the assumption that the barred rock is purebred (albeit hatchery stock). If it is mixed, that's a whole other story. The colour is female.

Well that is promising! Yes, I believe it was a hatchery egg, as that's what I was told so fingers WAY crossed!

They both look like pullets. That little bit of comb is nothing, a rooster at this age would have more. The EE just looks feminine, her color and nice thin legs make me think female.

The EE is a girl. Is that a white earlobe on the one you identify as a barred rock?
Ummm... This might sound dumb but the earlobe is the circle or no? It's like a really light grey (maybe white. Hard for me to tell. What would that mean?
OK strike all that lol I figured it out... earlobes are pink (very small and hard to see) I have now learned something new, once again lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom