Help with BR & EE sex. Any ideas?!?!?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JesNflock, Nov 8, 2013.

1. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    I have a couple chicks that are now about 7- 8 weeks old that I'm not sure of the gender. one is a BR (who I'm thinking is looking VERY Rooish by comb size and color..much bigger than any of my other chicks but none are the same breed so maybe not a good comparison)
    [​IMG]

The other is a EE...I think shes a pullet but I really have no idea and may be just wishful thinking as I know next to nothing about sexing chickens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Any thoughts?

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    The EE is a pullet. The BR looks like a rooster due to the larger pinker comb but its not huge so its hard to tell. Do you have a pic of the BR as a day old?

3. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    No, I didn't get him until around 5 or 6 weeks old (so I'm not even sure his exact age just a rough idea) I'm still holding out that "he" won't start crowing at some point lol

4. tmac1208

tmac1208 Out Of The Brooder

the EE looks just like one of my pullets when she was younger, and sorry but the other one is looking roo-ish as you say, but time will tell

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They are all girls. The EE is 100% girl.

I'm basing this off the assumption that the barred rock is purebred (albeit hatchery stock). If it is mixed, that's a whole other story. The colour is female.

[​IMG]

6. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Well that is promising! Yes, I believe it was a hatchery egg, as that's what I was told so fingers WAY crossed!

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    If it makes any difference, this pullet is just a tad older than your own. Similar comb/wattle growth. I believe she's 10 weeks old here.

1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They both look like pullets. That little bit of comb is nothing, a rooster at this age would have more. The EE just looks feminine, her color and nice thin legs make me think female.

9. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    The EE is a girl. Is that a white earlobe on the one you identify as a barred rock?

10. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Ummm... This might sound dumb but the earlobe is the circle or no? It's like a really light grey (maybe white. Hard for me to tell. What would that mean?
    OK strike all that lol I figured it out... earlobes are pink (very small and hard to see) I have now learned something new, once again lol

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by