Help with brand new 'bator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Krystle807, May 8, 2011.

1. Krystle807

Krystle807 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    ESVA
    Happy Mother's Day to all the mommas out there! I jus got myself a Brinsea Oct 20 Eco, and gearing up for it's maiden hatch [​IMG] I've done my research, and everything I read has said that the manufacture's default the temp setting. What are the odds I get one that isn't set!? Lucky me! My question is, I have had it running for a full day and the temp has stayed rock solid...but at 105. I obviously need to turn it down, but what is the recommended temp, since I know the air will be warmer towards the top of the bater? I have a spot check coming any day now that I'll have in a home-made water wiggler(thanks to those who posted about that, such a great idea!) and a Fluker's digital combo to keep an eye on humidity. My first set will be Indian Runners and Ancona ducks, any one also have any advice I should know about to ensure a successful hatch that I may have missed? Thanks!!

2. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    Somebody here has a page with great pointers on hatching using styrofoam incubators (which I realize the Brinsea isn't). One of her tips is to get a $1.50 aquarium thermometer from the pet dept. at Walmart. I am finding that to be fantastic advice, because the 3 different digital thermometers I have are turning out to be not very reliable. The temp should be 99.5 for a forced-air incubator.

3. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    Quote:Sombody is Chookschick cheat sheat. It is very helpful.

4. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I have two of the Brinsea Eco 20's. You should double check that temp. with another reliable thermometer. I set my bators at 99.5 degrees according to the glass thermometer that is in the Eco (I have checked the temp with another thermometer also). You will love the Brinsea. I get great hatches. Get a good hygrometer to check your humidity. There's a thread on BYC about calibrating a hygrometer. [​IMG]

5. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Check your temps!!!! They do not always come factory set. Mine 2 Ecos arrived at 104 degrees!!! I had to manually set both of them. Now my Advanced I left alone and have since learned that its a little to low. My eggs are hatching a couple days late so I have increased the temp to 100. I would absolutely check the temp with a reliable thermometer and NOT the glass one it came with either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by