help with breed/gender please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kit1470, May 25, 2010.

1. kit1470

kit1470 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    can you tell me what I have - these are about 1 1/2 old months old "assorted" bantams from tractor supply - I believe they are all silkies but I'm not sure what gender - if you could tell me what to look for based on these photos I would be grateful
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    yep - they are all white silkies, but I have no clue on gender as I'm no silkie expert - but I'd hazard a guess the last two pics are a roo.

3. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I 2nd that:)

4. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    I agree Silkies and roos as the last two.
    Most times roos have that butt on their heads [​IMG], but I have seen a single comb on a silkie roo before too!

5. kit1470

Apr 15, 2009
    thank you for the help - the last two pic are the same bird but one of the other that wouldn't cooperate for a picture has the same facial characteristics so I believe I must have 2 roos and 4 hens

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

They are definately silkies, pretty too.

I'd say more than likely the last two are roo's....BUT silkies that don't have much or no topknot tend to have the warting as I call it...and until they mature a bit more and get fuller waddles or not and the comb grows out more warts and turns a brighter shade then you may have a hen(s)...

Silkies that are bought from Tractor Supply, any feed store, and a lot of hatcheries are a real mixed bag, you can get some very beautiful birds that are close if not right spot on show quality...but most are beardless or topknot-less or have too many toes, or the toes are not the 'correct formation' for a silkie....Some have little to no warting even roo's and some females will get a bunch of warty combs on their heads if they don't have a good topknot...So you dont really know.

I have silkies as pets but some of mine are show birds, of show stock, getting some hatchery silkies soon... and i've had all sorts of silkie mixes in the past. I don't care, though I need a new roo! I lost my male roo to a misfortunate little accident about a month ago, and so am searching for a new one. [​IMG]

Silkies = awesome birds all around, beautiful, fuzzy, smallish, tend to be non aggressive, and great pets. G'luck with your guys and gals.

7. kit1470

Apr 15, 2009
    great information! thanks, I like the pet aspect, although thus far they aren't as friendly as my Red's, they are getting better, I at least I can climb in the pen with out them scattering now - I will try to remember to post some more pictures as they get a little older

on a scary side note - we almost lost the roo in the last two pictures - he didn't take to well to the 90+ degree temps we got yesterday, he was limp and lifeless yesterday afternoon when I got home - so I quick stuck him in a cool bath and fed him sugar water - took about 4 hours but he came around and this morning he acts like nothing happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by