Help with breed identification

it does not look like a Black Wyandotte, and while is quite hard to have a completely black bird with clean yellow shanks(they are not extended black, they are Birchen based with melanizers), the male shown on this thread is clearly a Wyandotte x Black breed cross. the Rose comb is dominant so it will be shown F1, and a gold laced Wyandotte crossed with a Extended black bird the rooster would be all black due to the melanizers(Ml and Pg)

I'm assuming they are just very low quality hatchery Wyandottes. I can't think of any other breed that would be from a hatchery, be LF, be black, and have rose combs.

I'm assuming they are just very low quality hatchery Wyandottes. I can't think of any other breed that would be from a hatchery, be LF, be black, and have rose combs.
I was thinking along those lines. And I'm sure that they're very low quality hatchery breeding. They were too good of a deal to pass up, $0.50 each. It's no big deal, I have no designs on breeding them, unless they prove to be good layers. I only keep chickens for eggs. It's just been driving me nuts because I couldn't figure out what breed they were. Black shanks and beaks like an Australorp, but rose combs. Thought my best bet would be to ask the masses on here so I could at least have some idea of what other people believed them to be. Thanks for all your help and I greatly appreciate it.

I was thinking along those lines. And I'm sure that they're very low quality hatchery breeding. They were too good of a deal to pass up, $0.50 each. It's no big deal, I have no designs on breeding them, unless they prove to be good layers. I only keep chickens for eggs. It's just been driving me nuts because I couldn't figure out what breed they were. Black shanks and beaks like an Australorp, but rose combs. Thought my best bet would be to ask the masses on here so I could at least have some idea of what other people believed them to be. Thanks for all your help and I greatly appreciate it.
My bet is that they just crossed Wyandottes with Australorps.

Possibly so. They aren't breeders for me, except if I want some barnyard mix. Just been bugging me because I haven't ever had any chickens with rose combs and had no idea what they were
You can keep crossing them with Wyandottes to get a very good type and color. Not many people have Black Wyandottes, or Black Barred Rocks or Black Leghorns

Back
Top Bottom