Help with Breed Please

Ooh you could be onto something there Omnich, I did notice the few spots and wondered about them, but it was less than the Speckled sussex and in the second pic they almost look likes spots of light! I googled the brown leghorn and they look very similar to the welsummer anyway! But yes, time does always tell these things! :)

UPDATE! Ok, so we had a nice warm day, and I let the chicks out into an outdoor chick run for a little while. I snapped these shots of the mystery chicken. It is the largest chicken in the flock of 13, not necessarily dominant, but won't take any guff (The Cuckoo Morans are flighty birds with regards to people, and definately more dominant in the flock).

My sister's husband thinks this is a rooster because of how fast the comb is developing. Its comb is larger than any of the other chickens. I told him I thought that could just be breed specific, but he still thinks it's a rooster.

Definitely a brown leghorn, not a rooster because the body of a brown leghorn rooster is nearly all black.

I have some brown leghorn, speckled Sussex, and a welsummer chick that all look very similar to this one. It could be any one of the three. Sorry, I guess I'm not much help.

Got a couple more shots of this one today. Obviously I am hoping amnich is correct, a leghorn hen would be great! She
fl.gif
is still the largest chicken in the flock, and she is a keeper of the peace. She is only the aggressor when others are acting up, and nobody is a match for her. At the same time, she doesn't really kick butt so much, as only uses the amount of force necessary to stop the other chicken's bad actions. Anyway, here she is again, in her full glory!

And another:

As you can see, she's just starting to fully feather out on her back, and is more than a little awkward looking right now!

Ok, at just over 4 weeks old I have another update. The chickens are all getting their feathers, and starting to show their true colors, so to speak. Here are a couple of pictures of the chicken in question. I personally think she looks like a hen (from a guy with no clue what-so-ever). She remains the biggest chicken.

A slightly different angle:

So the chicks are almost 5 weeks old, and have most of their feathers. This little chick has turned very dark red with black detailing in her feathers. For a while I thought she (?) might be a brown leghorn. However, she's just getting such a red head. More pictures to come, but from the pictures of Wellsummers I've seen, I'm starting to lean that way.

On another note, while I was feeding treats today, there was a pronounced cluck, verging on a crow?!!! The chickens are only just barely beginning to make chicken sounds, and I have only heard this possible crow once, but I am really hoping it's not what I think. I didn't see which bird made the noise, just heard it for the first time this morning. Yikes!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom