Help with Breed Please

Ok so my first thought upon hearing your responses was "Darn you for even saying that!!" However, my gut instinct since the start has been that this fella is going to turn out to be a Roo.

I may be jinxing myself further, but I have a question about Roos. Are all Roosters equally loud and persistent when it comes to their crowing? Are some easier to live with than others as far as the amount of sound they make?

Oh man, might be time to tell the neighbors...

Last edited:
Well, you all piqued my interest again, and I got to digging around on Google images. Upon further research, I am 99% sure this is a Welsummer from the way he (!) looked as a chick, as well as the current coloring. Unfortunately, that current coloring also points toward it being a Roo Welly. Oh boy. I wonder what the chances of this little fella staying out of the soup pot are. I am good with him, but the neighbors may not be
hu.gif

Ok, this is becoming one of those chickens that is not easy to get pictures of. I managed to get 2 that are semi-representative. I am convinced this is a Welsummer. There is no evidence of a rooster tail yet at all. Hmmm...

I agree, it looks like a rooster. Thing is, brown leghorn and Welsummer roosters are the same color. Leghorns are lighter bodied, usually larger combs, and white egg genes with large white earlobes. I'm not sure when those lobes really show up, but you'll know by 16 weeks for sure.

Agree it's a roo. It looks too heavy to be a leghorn. Welsumer is not a bad guess, but part of me thinks it looks a bit too dark for the typical welsumer. Tempted to toss in something like pencilled rock?

With some colors they are sexed more by what sort of color pattern they develop rather than tails etc, this guy is very clearly showing the 'roo coloring'- you really don't need to wait to see how the tail grows out... Pullets would be overall very similar to adult hens in color at this point- light brown with lots of lighter tan detailing with tiny bits of black spotting/striping. The breast would be way lighter than on this dude.

6 week update: Unless I have a hen that goes Cock-a-doodle-dooooo...

Yes, my chicken is a roo. He's a great roo thus far, and I still think he's a Welsummer. He has crowed 3 times in front of me, kind of a juvenile raspy crow, but a crow all the same. We'll see where he goes from here. If he can be well behaved, he might have a nice, long, chilly life ahead of him here in Gunnison. Otherwise, it's off to the crock pot! Here's a shot of the 6 week old rooster:

Some hens have been known to crow! But your definitely is a roo! Hopefully you can keep him. I'm wondering wether I can keep my roo too. I do love the little baby crows though, it's a bit like "Really? Thats all you've got?" hehe.

If you're still wondering about breed, from the facial markings when he was a chick, if it is a welsummer there would have been a 90% chance it would be female...so either your little roo could be that 10% that goes against the dark eyeliner thing or it could be a brown leghorn! But they are almost identical!

Now here's a man with my own first name who knows how to stir up the pot! This I like. Alex, I had my mind totally made up, and was sure there were no more surprises, but I think you just made some points that can't be ignored. I looked at pics of Brown Leghorn chicks... They do look exactly like welsummers, and exactly like my chick did. He did have the dark eyeliner, so.... Maybe you are right! I sense wisdom radiating from you...

Hehe, that's nice you sense wisdom radiating from me. I've had chickens (welsummers included!) for a whole 14 weeks today! BUT I have done a looooot of research on them I suppose! :p

Although I am actually a lady! :p

Back
Top Bottom