Help with breed?

addiedunn

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2008
Martinsville, IN
17014_img_1757.jpg

New here. We got these in July from a farmer who told us they were all hens. The white and another not pictured are the only two laying. The other 4 we got from him are roos, I think. The big one in the middle is definitely...crows all day. That black and white one has a twin but hey never crow. They also never fight. And Big Roo Boy wants to mount them also. Can someone confirm the B&W is a roo?
Also, from reading this forum the past couple of days, I am now inclined to think the most timid of them all is beginning to look like a rooster too and all along we thought she was a hen for sure. I don't have a pic of that one at all...it NEVER leaves the coop.

IMG_1767.jpg

We call them "The Twins". One of them had a broken leg when we got them home. We kept it away from the others for a few weeks and I splinted the leg. After some time off of it, it was good to go.
IMG_1751.jpg

Are they EE's?

IMG_1758.jpg

Granny is our favorite. She was laying daily up until about a week ago. I think she may be going through a molt. She's the sweetest, though. tha farmer told us she was a Hubbard's Golden Comet. But seeing as how he told us the other four were hens, I don't know that I believe him. lol. I bet he saw us coming a mile away!

Maybe golden laced wyandotte and silver laced wyandotte mixes??? Not sure...sorry...I'm bad at this!
wink.png

They are Wyandotte's I do believe and they are both roosters, Granny is a hen who looks to be molting, I'd say she is Golden Comet.

Golden-Laced and Silver-Laced Wyandottes. I'm actually impressed by the clarity of the lacing in these birds! All males...sorry hun.

The whitish colored bird (is female) and looks like she's molting to me too or has ALOT of males hounding her...possibly a golden comet???

Last edited:
The timid one, what color is it? Is it silver laced like that? The female silver wyandotte looks similar to the male, but doesnt have as big a tail. Or as dark. Could that be what it is? It would be nice if you got a female wyandotte to breed with the male.(one of them)

O I see you got a nice little red hen too. She is probably a production red (a type of rhode island red)

Last edited:
Thank you all for clearing up that stuff. We weren't sure what they were and really thought they were EE's.
Someone asked about the timid one and he is just like roo boy (gold-laced) only not near as much comb or waddle, which is why we were really holding out on the fact that he might just be a hen. But his feathering is just like the rest.
So...now I'm just bummed out. We only have 6 total and when we went to pick them up the farmer had the 4 all ready to go but he said they were too young to lay, as they were only 6 weeks at the time. So, we talked him out of two older ones that were laying already, which is the only reason we even got a hen. And he was reluctant about selling us those two!
Here is the problem: We are really attached to these birds but we can't be having roosters crow all day here in the city. lol. If I try and give them to a good home, how do I really know that someone won't try to make them cock fighters? That's what I DON'T want!
Mikarod is correct, even if I am new at this, even I can see that their markings are just gorgeous. Any suggestions on what to do with them?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom