Help with breeding BBS Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by caseebeths, Mar 11, 2017.

1. caseebeths

caseebeths Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    I have 2 pens for my Ameraucanas. I have a blue roo and a black roo with 9 BBS hens. The blues have real pretty lacing. What is the best color combos to keep in each pen to continue breeding the best colors and keep the good lacing?
    Are blacks valuable to keep in the breeding pens? So how should I breed them together?
    I appreciate any advice!

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The blacks are valuable if you want any more blacks, or if your blue starts becoming too diluted. They are also useful if they have other good or balancing qualities, such with the muffs or skin or back length/slope, etc. For instance if you have a pullet that is off in conformation in some way and the male's qualities are in the other direction and could balance out the offspring, that would be a decent pairing. Are you breeding for SOP/Show quality?

1 person likes this.
  3. caseebeths

caseebeths Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Ok thank you. I have decided to put a blue roo in one pen and my black roo in another. I want to keep a breeding for SOP/Show quality as much as possible.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    In that case I suggest you post pics of everyone on the Ameraucana thread so they can be critiqued and you can better decide which pullet to pair with which male.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by