Help with Brinsea Octagon 20 Incubator choice...please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wimberleytexaschick, May 2, 2011.

1. Wimberleytexaschick

Wimberleytexaschick Songster

Apr 25, 2011
    Wimberley, Texas
    I am going to get an incubator and having a hard time figuring out which Brinsea will be best for my needs. I would like to go with one of the Brinsea Octagon 20 models. Is the ECO with the auto turner good enough, or will I wish I had spent extra for the Advance or EX package with humidity box? I am hoping some of you that already have these can share your likes/dislikes- thanks so much!

2. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    North Dakota
    you will find those that love the Advance, but many, many users are just fine with the Eco. For add'l $100 you get digital, including humidity and the ability to add the humidity pump. I bought the Eco and turner because I didn't think I needed the digital capability. Search for "dry hatch" and follow that method and you'll be fine. Buy a good but inexpensive thermometer/hygrometer combination.

Becky

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Crowing

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I have an Eco 20 with turner, and I love it! My first hatch I actually did without the turner, manually turning the unit four times a day. However, the turner is awesome to have. Humidity hasn't really been a problem, nor has monitoring temperature, either.

4. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Songster

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    I was struggling with the same decision last week. I ordered the eco with cradle Friday. I heard a lot of reasoning behind just going with the eco. People had advised that the humidity pump was overkill for such a small incubator. And since its 100+ for the advanced I decided to go for cheaper, because I like my money. Good Luck!

5. shellyga

shellyga Songster

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I just ordered a second Eco -- hatching out 20 of 24 SHIPPED eggs.. and I have one of the mini's at school.. both were first time use and I am in love. I don't have a turner but found the manual turning of the eggs isn't a problem. I have Hovabators too.. but am sold on the Brinsea after just one hatching.. clean up is a breeze.

Shelly

6. Glenmar

Glenmar Songster

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have an ECO 20. This past weekend was my first hatch ever. I got 13 out of 14 eggs hatched. Love it.

7. beesong

beesong Songster

I have two EXs with pumps, and one of the best things about them is that I can actually go away for a couple of weeks at a time and KNOW that everything is doing just fine with the incubators. That's how reliable and precise they are.

Last edited: May 2, 2011

8. Wimberleytexaschick

Wimberleytexaschick Songster

Apr 25, 2011
    Wimberley, Texas
    Thanks everyone, looks like the ECO is a great way to get started!

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

May I suggest you start with the Advance model? You cannot upgrade the ECO with an humidity pump, but you CAN get a humidity pump later for your Advance. The digital controls and readout are wonderful and with the Advance, you get the auto-turner cradle.

(I happen to have 3 EX models of Octagon20, two EX models of the MiniAdvance, and one MiniAdvance without a humidity pump.)

10. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Songster

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I have 2 eco's and I had turn! turning is soooo easy I didnt see much need for the turner. just tilt the whole thing 3-4 times a day and thats it. I LOVE mine. Just had a 100% hatch yesterda AGAIN!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by