1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with broody hen, hatching eggs, and day old chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by havi, Feb 17, 2009.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Okay I have a few questions hopefully someone on here can help with. I have 6 eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow. I also recieved (6) day old chicks today. Im going to try and slip the 6 chicks under her for her to raise as well. Should I wait for the eggs to hatch first and then slip the fosters under her? Or should I go ahead and slip the chicks under her and wait for the eggs to hatch? Im guessing the first choice is best, but Im not sure. Also Im sorta nervous about the hatching eggs. See the last eggs didnt do so well. Granted they were Araucanas, and they have bad hatch rates, but still I keep telling myself maybe there was something else I could have done to help. Should I hear anything coming from the eggs yet? Should I see them moving when I candle them?

Im going crazy!! [​IMG]

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Wait! If you wanna add chicks with her wait till all eggs hatch and slip them under her in the dark.

If you add chicks now she will leave the eggs...

give the eggs somtime and let all that are going to hatch...Hatch then add the other chicks if you want.

3. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I thought it would be best to wait for the eggs, but like I said, I just wanted to make sure. Okay, on the eggs..should I hear anything or see them move some when I candle them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by