Dec 7, 2020
Hi! I have not been here in a while. My silkie bantam, who has recently started laying, is being broody. I was fine with it at first, but she will not come down. I left her alone and she did not come down the first day at all. Neither on the second day. On the third day, I took her down to run around and eat and drink. After a few minutes, she went back on to lay on the gges. I do not know if the eggs are fertilized or not either. Also, she's always been at the bottom of the pecking order, but it gets worse now. Whenever she comes down, she gets targeted and pecked by everyone. last broody silkie i had died on her eggs, so I do not want the same thing to happen to her. I have read that putting ice underneath her works, but since it is colder here, i do not want her to freeze. She also does not lay and i do not think she poops either. Whenever I take her down, she poops a HUGE poop, bigger than my one year old hens. Does anyone have any advice?

Are you trying to break her broodiness?

If you have a small flock, wait until all the hens finish laying for the day, then block off any access to the nest boxes.
If you see her on the nest, kick her out. Make sure she gets exercise, food, and water.

Put her in a good sized wire cage/crate (with wire bottom for air flow) and place the cage somewhere above the ground for maximum airflow. The point of this is to cool her down so she stops being broody.
In the cage, put some food and water and keep her in there for a few days. Take her out once in a while to get some exercise, but don't let her get on the eggs again.
After 2-3 days, let her out, and see what she does. If she gets on the eggs right away, she needs to go back in the cage for 1-2 more days.
If she continues to be broody, repeat the process.

Do not put ice under her. That could cause frostbite especially since the weather is getting cold. That could also cause shock for the hen and she could potentially die or get sick.

It's normal for a broody to be lower on the pecking order. For some reason, chickens hate broodies.

Good luck and be patient ❤️ Some broodies are a little stubborn

Could you post some pictures of her on the nest?

Are you trying to break her broodiness?

If you have a small flock, wait until all the hens finish laying for the day, then block off any access to the nest boxes.
If you see her on the nest, kick her out. Make sure she gets exercise, food, and water.

Put her in a good sized wire cage/crate (with wire bottom for air flow) and place the cage somewhere above the ground for maximum airflow. The point of this is to cool her down so she stops being broody.
In the cage, put some food and water and keep her in there for a few days. Take her out once in a while to get some exercise, but don't let her get on the eggs again.
After 2-3 days, let her out, and see what she does. If she gets on the eggs right away, she needs to go back in the cage for 1-2 more days.
If she continues to be broody, repeat the process.

Do not put ice under her. That could cause frostbite especially since the weather is getting cold. That could also cause shock for the hen and she could potentially die or get sick.

It's normal for a broody to be lower on the pecking order. For some reason, chickens hate broodies.

Good luck and be patient ❤️ Some broodies are a little stubborn

Could you post some pictures of her on the nest?
I was originally going to let her hatch out the egg, but since she will not come down during the day and I will not always be there to take her down until evening, i do not think I will. I removed the eggs and locked the nesting boxes, only letting them up at night. I might try putting food up top with her, because one of her eggs were fertilized, if she lays again. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom