Help with building coop/run (complete novice at building)

Raised coop, ideally tall enough to get my wheelbarrow at least next to it for easy cleaning/moving.
planned site is near about level, I'd be leveling it out and lining the build area with cinder blocks and hardware cloth under those.
I only have some basic tools, but we should be getting some more wood working tools per say here soon from some family that was cleaning out one of the grandparent's sheds.
My husband is around to help with anything needed, he just has as little / much building experience as I have. :D
We have a car, but to my knowledge our local Lowes does deliver if we order from there. I think the few other places around here that may have any larger parts we'd need deliver here too.

There's a lot to know about building things. I will toss a few things here to assist.

A 2x4 actually measures 1.5x3.5. That's important when making plans and doing cuts.

A 4x8 coop is most efficient with using standard lumber. It will also give you the inside space you need.

With a raised coop using 1/2 inch thick plywood is sufficient for the floor. The 3/4 is certainly thicker and stronger but not needed in a raised coop.

What kind of roofing do you want to use?

In your area heat and humidity are likely high so lots of ventilation is definitely needed.

Graph paper! It's much less expensive to make a mistake on graph paper than with wood. Draw it out to scale...then edit and draw it again and again until you have it nailed down. We can certainly help review things.

Measure the wheelbarrow and add a few inches to get the height for the base.

If you don't have an impact driver this may be the time to get a drill and driver set. They are invaluable in building things. Of course a hammer and nails can be used but make taking things apart if there's a calculation error much more difficult.

Home Depot also has pickup trucks you can rent.
Getting the plan drawn up as well as the run should make it a one or two trip deal.

This is our coop and run version 1.0. Are you thinking something like this? It was perfect for 4 or 5 hens.
Fairly "simple" to do. We used
20201028_085056.jpg
fence boards for the sides as it was easier to work and cheaper with then the large pieces of plywood. We covered the gaps with thin wood for a board and batten look.

Your getting great advise and awesome pics to help you decide. If you need to along the way, you can tag me (@wrathsfarm) and I can try to help.... Close to 30 years in construction.
Like posted earlier using torx screws are a little more costly to start instead of framing nails, but the savings in labor will add up when tearing a wall back apart from a miscalculation.
Best of luck to you.... You got this and once it's done? You and the hubby can sit back and enjoy what you created yourselves and then you can plan out your next bigger coop because chicken math happens... 😉🤣

There's a lot to know about building things. I will toss a few things here to assist.

A 2x4 actually measures 1.5x3.5. That's important when making plans and doing cuts.

A 4x8 coop is most efficient with using standard lumber. It will also give you the inside space you need.

With a raised coop using 1/2 inch thick plywood is sufficient for the floor. The 3/4 is certainly thicker and stronger but not needed in a raised coop.

What kind of roofing do you want to use?

In your area heat and humidity are likely high so lots of ventilation is definitely needed.

Graph paper! It's much less expensive to make a mistake on graph paper than with wood. Draw it out to scale...then edit and draw it again and again until you have it nailed down. We can certainly help review things.

Measure the wheelbarrow and add a few inches to get the height for the base.

If you don't have an impact driver this may be the time to get a drill and driver set. They are invaluable in building things. Of course a hammer and nails can be used but make taking things apart if there's a calculation error much more difficult.

Home Depot also has pickup trucks you can rent.
Getting the plan drawn up as well as the run should make it a one or two trip deal.
Oh yeah that's a lot of food for thought, I actually got a pack of graph paper just for this project haha.

I've always planned to measure twice (or four times) cut once.. that's my biggest hiccup in building any of my plans as I fear messing up something :'D

shame home depot is a town over.. but it's not that bad of a drive if we need to do that.

I know we just got a drill set.. I'd have to check the impact driver that may be what we got I'm not sure. Cause my husband was planning on putting together a super basic L desk.

But yeah I know people in the South seem to freak about the cold but honest I grew up in MD and our little flock was out in a makeshift repurposed hog lean to with pallets in it. Way colder up there and the chickens were fine so long as you kept the water thawed haha.

Already looked into cross air and all that fun stuff. Also why I was leaning towards a lean to style.. I felt it was easier to put ventilation in without a bunch of extra cutting.

But thank you a ton for all the pointers it's super helpful to know I'm on the right track of thinking :D

Your getting great advise and awesome pics to help you decide. If you need to along the way, you can tag me (@wrathsfarm) and I can try to help.... Close to 30 years in construction.
Like posted earlier using torx screws are a little more costly to start instead of framing nails, but the savings in labor will add up when tearing a wall back apart from a miscalculation.
Best of luck to you.... You got this and once it's done? You and the hubby can sit back and enjoy what you created yourselves and then you can plan out your next bigger coop because chicken math happens... 😉🤣
More will have to wait for us to move. We're not SUPPOSED to have chickens here but there are so many people with chickens and even town hall was like.. it's not a big deal just keep them in your yard and not in the roads.

But i'll for sure ask. Ideally.. I want to make it to where I can take it down when we do move just as a temp or brooder coop later on if it lasts or is built well enough :D

Oh i forgot about craig's list. I should look there JUST in case.

I looked a bit in your area and saw several sturdy ones.
More will have to wait for us to move. We're not SUPPOSED to have chickens here but there are so many people with chickens and even town hall was like.. it's not a big deal just keep them in your yard and not in the roads.

But i'll for sure ask. Ideally.. I want to make it to where I can take it down when we do move just as a temp or brooder coop later on if it lasts or is built well enough :D

Oh....that may change the recommendations then.

Any plans to move at this time?
Cities can be brutal about the "nope not here".

I looked a bit in your area and saw several sturdy ones.

Oh....that may change the recommendations then.

Any plans to move at this time?
Cities can be brutal about the "nope not here".
Oh no I've checked several times for the chickens.. it's not enforced. It's just a tiny town without much going on. Shoot I was told get some ducks too the last time I asked and was told the police weren't going to go answering a call for someone saying their neighbor has chickens on their own property. The main concern was if they got on someone else's property but with all the dogs that run around.. the loose chickens wouldn't be lasting long (I think everyday we have a fully fenced yard).

We are planning to move in the future. But.. we didn't find anything and our house fell through 4 times to where we decided against it at that point. Plus the rates have gone up so bad. Staying to keep the 3% was a better idea long term.

I even checked if I needed a permit for building a coop or shed, but so long as it's under a certain square footage there isn't any limitations. Not that I'm shocked.. there are some folks near me with a coop, and at least 4 sheds in their backyard. @-@

Back
Top Bottom