Help with building coop/run (complete novice at building)

Rosekitten

Songster
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Rockingham, NC
Looking for threads, links, anything. I'm in a small town and trying to hire someone for semi quality work has been like pulling teeth. That or they are a town or two over and they want to charge 5 grand or more for a coop planned for 4 to 6 chickens heh.

So I'm gonna just say forget it and try my hand at getting this thing up and running.. I just wanted a lean to style small coop and run. I never dreamed it'd be rough to find a contractor just for that heh.

Can you give more details?

Raised coop?
Walk in coop?
Is the planned site level?
Budget?
Tools available?
Anyone able to help with heavy or awkward pieces?
Way to haul the materials?

While there may be challenges each has a solution.
Raised coop, ideally tall enough to get my wheelbarrow at least next to it for easy cleaning/moving.
planned site is near about level, I'd be leveling it out and lining the build area with cinder blocks and hardware cloth under those.
I only have some basic tools, but we should be getting some more wood working tools per say here soon from some family that was cleaning out one of the grandparent's sheds.
My husband is around to help with anything needed, he just has as little / much building experience as I have. :D
We have a car, but to my knowledge our local Lowes does deliver if we order from there. I think the few other places around here that may have any larger parts we'd need deliver here too.

Have you considered just modifying an old shed? You can find them for sale on CL and FB Marketplace or contact local shed builders and ask them if they have used ones they can deliver to you.
I have, but I haven't had luck finding a eh.. decent shape shed around my area. Falls back to small town issue and it's a low income county so stuff like that is snapped up quickly or stuff that people post almost looks like it's falling over/rusted...

I am currently building my coop, a raised 5 x 6 coop with a run. I am about halfway done after a week, only me building it, no help. I figure after all is done I would in about $1500 in materials. (Everything 21 Hens says is absolutely true, and then the local authorities may want a building permit as well depending on your coop size).

This cost is not inclusive of the gas used in my pick up to go to the lumber yard and hardware stores to obtain the materials.

I am not trying to discourage, just trying to portray a DIY build in my case, is cheaper than having someone else do it, but still not as cheap as I perceived. Building supply costs have skyrocketed.

I wish you the best.

Attachments

• 20240329_134655.jpg
    20240329_134655.jpg
    769.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I am currently building my coop, a raised 5 x 6 coop with a run. I am about halfway done after a week, only me building it, no help. I figure after all is done I would in about $1500 in materials. (Everything 21 Hens says is absolutely true, and then the local authorities may want a building permit as well depending on your coop size).

This cost is not inclusive of the gas used in my pick up to go to the lumber yard and hardware stores to obtain the materials.

I am not trying to discourage, just trying to portray a DIY build in my case, is cheaper than having someone else do it, but still not as cheap as I perceived. Building supply costs have skyrocketed.

I wish you the best.
I do know I don't need a permit, if we had moved the other year that area would have required one though. I try to keep tabs on stuff like that just in case.

See 1500 is way better than a lot of the sites and contractors telling me it'll be 8,000 to 12,000 for a small coop for up to 6 chickens. It's not even a large run as I have a fully fenced yard.

We were fine paying a few thousand for someone else to do it but the upcharge and the fact that no one locally seems to do this sort of work.

Raised coop, ideally tall enough to get my wheelbarrow at least next to it for easy cleaning/moving.
planned site is near about level, I'd be leveling it out and lining the build area with cinder blocks and hardware cloth under those.
I only have some basic tools, but we should be getting some more wood working tools per say here soon from some family that was cleaning out one of the grandparent's sheds.
My husband is around to help with anything needed, he just has as little / much building experience as I have. :D
We have a car, but to my knowledge our local Lowes does deliver if we order from there. I think the few other places around here that may have any larger parts we'd need deliver here too.
Fyi... Check to see if your local Lowes has a cut station in their lumber dept. This could be a big help once you get your plans/blueprint/material list of the coop finalized if you needed it.

Fyi... Check to see if your local Lowes has a cut station in their lumber dept. This could be a big help once you get your plans/blueprint/material list of the coop finalized if you needed it.
Ours does have that at least. :D Thankfully.. haha. It's just a lot and I'm just overwhelmed on where to start and a little disheartened in that I'm starting several months later than I wanted to.. I never dreamed it'd be so rough to find someone locally to do an odd job like this during the slow season. But.. perks of a small town.

I do know I don't need a permit, if we had moved the other year that area would have required one though. I try to keep tabs on stuff like that just in case.

See 1500 is way better than a lot of the sites and contractors telling me it'll be 8,000 to 12,000 for a small coop for up to 6 chickens. It's not even a large run as I have a fully fenced yard.

We were fine paying a few thousand for someone else to do it but the upcharge and the fact that no one locally seems to do this sort of work.
Then I would say go for it, it is a experience you will remember for the rest of your life :>) I put a pic of the coop I am building, got plans off Etsy for 10 bucks, very detailed. posted again below the stages

Attachments

• 20240328_185033.jpg
    20240328_185033.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240329_134655.jpg
    20240329_134655.jpg
    769.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240325_164856.jpg
    20240325_164856.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240326_173905.jpg
    20240326_173905.jpg